BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tackled inspection II over the weekend. After resetting inspection and oil service indicator, I ran for possible faulty codes. Two showed up:

1) Electric Thermostate Final Stage
2) Throttle Position Sensor

Can anyone share some knowledge to what these code mean? The car runs fine as is, but I'd like to fix these soon.

Thanks for your hlep :byee55amg

-Terry

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Thermostat final stage: It could mean the drive electronics for the electrically heated coolant thermostat. It gets electrically heated when the DME (ECU) wants to increase coolant flow through the radiator to cool the cylinder heads more effectively during high power operation.

Throttle position sensor: There are two potentiometers sensing the throttle position. If those momentarily don´t give corresponding readings you will get this code.

For both fault-codes, I´d do what the dealer service does: just reset and see if those return with time.

David

·
Registered
931 Posts
Terry,
I am curious, what brand OBD II reader do you have? Is this BMW specific or generic? I am wondering if 'generic' gives enough detailed info. v.s. the make specific type.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I can tell you from experience that a BMW specific reader will give more accurate info. I have the Peake Research tool which gives BMW specific info and also allows you to reset the SES and service interval lights. I have several other readers which are generic which I no longer use.
:cheers:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks for the info. Steve!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight David!
I'll reset and see if it returns...

mr_bock, I use Peake reset tool also.

-Terry

DavidS said:
Thermostat final stage: It could mean the drive electronics for the electrically heated coolant thermostat. It gets electrically heated when the DME (ECU) wants to increase coolant flow through the radiator to cool the cylinder heads more effectively during high power operation.

Throttle position sensor: There are two potentiometers sensing the throttle position. If those momentarily don´t give corresponding readings you will get this code.

For both fault-codes, I´d do what the dealer service does: just reset and see if those return with time.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts