BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

NW London - need some help

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  vantaam5 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where i can take my car to get the water pump replaced?

The local indy want £800. To change the TStat at the same time they want £1200.

Previously with some help from a board member I replaced the head gasket, so i have a little experiance in mechanics.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Ouch!

If you look in the DIY section there are a good few threads with reference to changing the water pump and thermostat yourself. Given you've changed a HG on a car i would have thought this was easily within your capabilities.

An extra £400 for what is essentially a £50 part at most, and no other labour required as the stat has to come off to remove the pump tells you all you need to know about this greedy indy. Mind you at £800 for a water pump job that should have been immediatly obvious.

Name and shame.

#5 ·
When my water pump was replaced in August 2012 the total bill came to £549.78 + Vat, the pump itself came to £315.27 .... the thermostat was 194.92 + Vat to replace...

Both with the same garage at different times...

Hopefully gives you an idea although you may be suffering from the "London effect" when it comes to charges...

#6 ·
Local...

I have used CPC before, however was looking for someone around closer to where I live.

Its not in the best of shapes at the moment and at some stage would like to get into a body shop.

Board members are welcome and I would of course pay them for their time.

With kind regards, SK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.