BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Haven't been on the board for ages - moving from an M6 convertible to an E92 convertible - build week mid June - it is the first customer car my dealer has a slot for. They wanted to spec their demo car and sell it to me but BMW UK wouldn't let them.

Black/Black - I'll get my salesman to send me through a pdf of the full spec and post it as standard options are different from country to country. I'm interested in opinions as to different sound options while I can still change the spec.

Tim

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm going to the dealer on Monday. They have a coupe with HiFi Professional and a convertible with DSP (Logic 7). I've got Logic 7 in my M6 and it is fantastic, but the Individual system is too much for me to pay. I missed off USB audio on that spec.

Tim

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm going to the dealer on Monday. They have a coupe with HiFi Professional and a convertible with DSP (Logic 7). I've got Logic 7 in my M6 and it is fantastic, but the Individual system is too much for me to pay. I missed off USB audio on that spec.

Tim
That's incorrect. No Logic 7 available for the M3.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I think you should choose your words more wisely when dealing with one of the more knowledgeable members of the forum. HiFi Professional with DSP IS Logic 7 - it is developed by Lexicon and is exactly the same system as I have in my M6, and while it is not available in the US is IS available in Europe. Do a bit more searching on the bmw.com website and then come back and apologise.

I listened to it at length (in standard mode - I don't like any of the "venue" settings) and compared it to HiFi professional. My dealer has a coupe in stock without DSP and a convertible with DSP. DSP does help with the cabin reverberations and compensates for the fact that a car is not the ideal place to listen to music. I listened to various tracks on my iPod encoded using Nero AAC at 320kb/s, and a couple of tracks from CDs. Two I know very well and often use in listening tests are "Hotel California" from Eagles live "Hell Freezes Over", and the acoustic version of "Gotta Get Thru This" by Daniel Bedingfield. With both you got the impression of being there. Like Logic 7 on the 6 series Lexicon have done a pretty good job with "room correction". It's a pity the price has increased since I originally specced it on my 645 in 2002, but it seems that unlike the M6 where all the important options are standard in the UK, BMW are determined to make you spend an extra £10k to get the right spec.

I use room correction at home on my Meridian G68 (Meridian and Lexicon are probably the biggest players in digital audio worldwide) and while Logic 7 isn't quite as good as the £3k processor I have at home IMO it is probably the best bang for the buck given the options available, and like the M5 and the M6 one of the best factory fit stereos available without spending silly money. It doesn't have the raw power of the Individual system, but I don't listen to music at incredibly loud levels in the car - it is too much of a distraction.

I've attached an amended spec - the only difference is that I remembered USB this time and have upgraded to HiFi Pro DSP. When my current iPod dies I'll buy a Classic 160Gb so I can carry my entire collection encoded in lossless format. To be honest, while there are subtle differences in some music between 320k AAC and PCM it will be difficult to tell the difference in the car, especially with the roof down.

I've got a build date - 19th May so it should only be 3-4 weeks now. Not bad as I originally put my order in when I sold my last M3 in 2002!

Tim

·
Registered
399 Posts
  • Delivery date: April 20th 2008
  • Coupe or Convertible: Coupe
  • Colour interiour and exteriour: Alpine White and Fox Red
  • Interior panels which kind: Carbon Fibre
  • If you have any options: Everyone with the CF roof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The M3 Convertible

I don't want to insulting to any of my "M" brothers but I believe the convertible compromises the integrity of the car and for the most part should be reserved for FEMALE drivers only. But really, it's whatever makes you happy.
-2008 M3 Coupe, Alpine White, Fox Red Leather, M-DCT.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
BI2016<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1332874", true); </SCRIPT>, looks great! Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I don't want to insulting to any of my "M" brothers but I believe the convertible compromises the integrity of the car and for the most part should be reserved for FEMALE drivers only. But really, it's whatever makes you happy.
-2008 M3 Coupe, Alpine White, Fox Red Leather, M-DCT.
It does compromise the integrity - I'd much rather have a cloth roof and plastic front and rear wings and boot but unfortunatley fashion dictates. Personally I like open top motoring, and BMW make some of the most dynamic convertibles available.

At least I can order a car in tasteful colours rather than something that wouldn't be out of place driven by a pimp.

Insult me again and I'll have you banned ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is my story...

I just had my Silverstone II BMW M3 made matt white.

Thanks to some sort of sticky paper that protects the original paint from stonechips etc. and at the same time it made me fullfill my dream about a matt car. Matt white that is. The result is fantastic and makes the car look totally unique!

Now I am waiting for my Eisenmann Race exhaust system to arrive this week and for my 380 mm. StopTech brakes to arrive within the next couple of weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Went to drop off the M6 yesterday to have the hand controls switched over to the M3. Jerez Black is a fantastic colour - I hadn't seen it in the flesh, close up before. It's a flip/flop colour - black from some angles and very dark blue from others. Even though the car is specced up to the gills only three of the buttons are used, why do they put so many blanks in there?

Can't wait until I get to drive it on Friday.

Tim

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Very nice Martin. Tell me if you want me to come by with a few finished DVDs, Ill be i nSkåne for a few months.
Here is my story...

I just had my Silverstone II BMW M3 made matt white.

Thanks to some sort of sticky paper that protects the original paint from stonechips etc. and at the same time it made me fullfill my dream about a matt car. Matt white that is. The result is fantastic and makes the car look totally unique!

Now I am waiting for my Eisenmann Race exhaust system to arrive this week and for my 380 mm. StopTech brakes to arrive within the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
just picked mine up this past weekend, after a long wait from ordered date. got some really poor quality (pics from iphone3g) but hope you guys give me a little break on this one, since i couldn't find my digicam ;)

alpinewhite/fox red extended/dct/all option boxes checked!!! e93 conv!!!
:cheers: :M5rev:

Attachments

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Stunning! welcome! I beleive you saw some of the M3 Convertible videos we did? Some more are upcoming.

Again, big congratulations!

Gustav

21 - 40 of 69 Posts