BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the beast just long enough to put about 3,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago we adopted a service-dog flunk-out, 14 month old yellow Lab. Naturally I gave her a ride to the manly Home Depot. When I came out of the store some idiot's car alarm was going off. And the big Lab puppy in my car was wigging out.

Yes, I was the idiot. I hope the dog gets over it.

I think BMW out-clevered themselves with the interior motion sensor alarm. Gross overkill! But at least now I know it's there, and I know how to turn it off BEFORE I walk away from the car.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've had the beast just long enough to put about 3,000 miles on it. Two weeks ago we adopted a service-dog flunk-out, 14 month old yellow Lab. Naturally I gave her a ride to the manly Home Depot. When I came out of the store some idiot's car alarm was going off. And the big Lab puppy in my car was wigging out.

Yes, I was the idiot. I hope the dog gets over it.

I think BMW out-clevered themselves with the interior motion sensor alarm. Gross overkill! But at least now I know it's there, and I know how to turn it off BEFORE I walk away from the car.
I've done that to my wife once, and to my son another time. My son stayed in the car to listen to his iPod while I was going into a gas station. He was 17, but still it was an unknown area and I locked him in. He went to reach into the back seat for something and tripped the alarm. Not happy with me, needless to say. As for my wife... yeah, that didn't go over well either. I've since learned my lesson!

Nice feature but perhaps it should have been designed to default to "off" unless you hit the lock twice to turn it "on."

-crds

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I bet my X5-3.5d you, like many many others, never read and absorbed your manual first !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yeah, I remember when I first got my M5. Went to a kids' birthday party and loaded some balloons into my car.
My alarm kept going off, I first thought there was some malfunction with the alarm. I had totally forgot about the motion sensor in the car...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've driven M3's for years and cars for decades. Who needs the manual? Who would have thought BMW would sneak a self-destructo device in there?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think the interior motion is perhaps for if you left your windows cracked or if a window gets broken to take something. If they dont have the interior motion sensor than the alarm would never go off with a window smash since the car door is never opened.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I like to read the manual when I buy the car. I get excited about the new car and want to find out as much as possible about it.

You always discover something new or cool. It might be nerdy, but I like it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think the interior motion is perhaps for if you left your windows cracked or if a window gets broken to take something. If they dont have the interior motion sensor than the alarm would never go off with a window smash since the car door is never opened.
It also works if someone tries to jack your car and steal your wheels or load it onto a trailer (that's why you need to deactivate it if you are on a ferry in rough water). It actually activates not only on motion inside the car but also if the vehicle itself moves.

At least it does in my '07 5-series

·
Registered
638 Posts
How do you deactivate it? I left my dog in the car for the first time last week (after 5 yrs of ownership) and the alarm kept going off. I finally just unlocked the car.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Press the lock key for 3-5 s then you deactivate the motion alarm. See the alarm LED loght constantly for a few seconds as as confirmation that it is off.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks Gustav, hope you are staying warm up there in Sweden.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts