BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made an appointment to get the winter tires changed over for the family minivan and the M5.

- Sunday morning appointment. One out of three technicians show up. I need to get out quickly, but it wasn't going to happen. I left and figure I'd come back during the weeknight.

- Weeknight. I had to explain three times to the technician how I wanted the van tires rotated from their last position. I actually walked out in the work area to show him. This should have been a warning to leave immediately, but I needed the tires done.

- I drive the M5 out and notice that it is handling funny. Next morning, the tire defect light is on, but attribute it to the weather and tire change.

- I get to work and inspect the tires and find out that the left rear tire is in the front. I should have known.

- I bring the M5 back and they install the tire correctly. But while I am speaking with another disgruntled customer, I notice that my M5 is no longer up on the lift, but no one is working on it either.

- At least 10 mins later, the desk guy walks in and asks if the work is completed. The answer is yes, then the tech drives the car out.

No apologies from the desk guy. No refund for my inconvenience, but I was so frustrated with the poor service, I figure I better walk out before I rip the guy's head off.

I used to like NTW until they were bought by Sears. Now they have been bought by Tire Kingdom and they are the absolute worst. I used to go for the convenience, but three trips and a dangerous install is not worth it.
Note to self: NTB - Stay away!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Where in NH are you located? I have had awful experiences with NTB as well- in both Mass and NH.

·
Registered
593 Posts
And to think I was going to purchase tires from them..Thanks for the heads up.

Vic

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Huh??

WTF is "NTB", "NTW", and "Tire Kingdom". Are these the kind of outfits that advertise on TV @ 3am?? Geez, are there any legitimate tire companies in freaking NH?? What's wrong with Sears?? Is there a Costco??

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Fuguar,

Where in NH. do you live?
In Hudson, NH. is 3D Auto Works.
Dan and his team work on only BMW's.
Dan's son races a 3-series.

In the past I just had them do "the big stuff" when i did not want to do it myself, but now I bring tire and alignment jobs to them after being discusted with our local Town Fair Tire dealer.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is exactly why each spring and winter I take a tire crayon and mark each tire on the car with RR/LR/RF/LF. That way, when I take them back to be switched, they are already marked with thier correct position. I just walk around the car when done to confirm they put the right wheels on the right place. I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was using an indy for my winter tire purchases (Nokians), but they have limited hours and decent service. NTB always had very good service until the Tire Kingdom takeover.

Costco - no experience with them.

Sears - I stay away. They always try to do the "loose balljoint" ploy.

The indy is no guarantee either. Got my tires installed with four different pressures.

Bottom line: do the due diligence before and after...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The indy is no guarantee either. Got my tires installed with four different pressures.

Bottom line: do the due diligence before and after...
So the Missus buys this "neighborhood coupon" deal from a local indy tire place, "free oil changes", etc. for $25. She does this because she wants to save me from having to do the oil changes on the Expedition (the soccer carpool vehicle). No one touches the BMWs but me or the dealer or my indy. This free oil change requires purchase of a filter, but it's still cheaper than doing it myself. So I brought it in a few weeks ago. $12 and change for an oil change - not bad. I can't get the oil and filter for that anymore. I go home and the next day I decide to check the oil level because, well, I trust no one. The dipstick is dry. WTF?!?!?:eek:oohhh: I see that the oil filler cap is gone as well. :1zhelp: Bastards. It was only 2 miles to the shop, and the car had oil pressure, and I had no spare oil handy to top it off anyway, so I drove it over. They added another 1.5 quarts of oil and bought me a new cap and gave me a card for a free oil change. Riiiiight. Like I'm going back there.ouich

Even the best shops make mistakes. This place had a new guy doing my car and he didn't follow procedure. My regular indy tire store drives me nuts because they always take so long, but they know me and they do a good job for me. But I still double-check their work.

Michael

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
My regular indy tire store drives me nuts because they always take so long, but they know me and they do a good job for me. But I still double-check their work.

Michael
Michael,

In case you're interested in another local choice, I've had great success with Discount Tire in Wake Forest/Wakefield over the past year. Brian (Redshift) raved about them, so I've had them mount race tires (Hoosiers (easy to mount), BFG R1 (much harder to mount)) a total of four times over the past year on expensive SSR wheels, and they've done a perfect job each time (last time was a week ago). I also had a set of NT-01s mounted on my M5 track wheels (OE rears) which is a very tough job, and it was done flawlessly. Joey is one of the great guys there and does a super job. I also bought new rear runflats for my wife's E90 there, and those 35 series RF's are a REAL pia to mount -- they did it fine with no marks.

Regards,
Chuck

·
Registered
377 Posts
I feel that a lot of the chain tire stores should be viewed as independent shops with the same name.

I've never had problems with NTB (other than they had to have me drive my car into the bay since they couldn't drive manual), Firestone and NTB whenever I've taken my car to them for fixing flats. However, when it comes to installing tires, I've always taken it to a real independent shop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts