BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interesting discussion going on right now on the NSX forums:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45565

"Lately, I have been struggling with the idea of selling my NSX even though after two years, I have finally got her darn near perfect fixing almost every little quirk that I could find. As much as I love driving it, I was looking to move to something that is not only fun to drive, but also more family orientated with the addition of our child earlier last year. In addition, my wife has been nagging me to consolidate my two cars into one nice car that more than just myself can go in to cut back on gas, insurance, property tax, etc..

I really like the looks and power of the M5's and was looking at the 2000-2001 range which goes for about 37-45K. I really like the new 500 HP M5's, but they are not only on a 2 year waiting list, but cost 90k as well. The 2000-2001 M5 has a respectable 400HP, 4.6-5.0 zero to sixty, 13.1 quarter mile times, and I have read glowing reviews on them in general. I was wondering what you think of the M5 compared to the NSX which I know is completely different in almost every way.

Also, I looked on a Bimmer forum and they didn't have anything like what NSXprime has, at least what I can find. The NSX community should really consider themselves lucky to have such a great resource and wealth of information like NSXPrime. With the NSX, I know to look for things like snap ring, climate control problems, windows, etc., but I have no idea what to look for with the M5. Potential maintenance problems and cost of it, blah, blah, blah. Anybody think I'm crazy here? Do you have any other suggestions as to what vehicle to buy or should I keep my NSX."

·
Registered
214 Posts
03E39M5-

Trust me on this one. I have a tendency to go through cars. I have a friend whose family owns 2 high end dealerships here in town. I tell you this so that you don't think I am nuts going through cars and losing money every few months. I am lucky enough to be able to buy them right and sell them right. (or so he tells me!) In the last year or so, I have had everything from the new Lexus 470 to a '97 D90 and everything in between, Range Rovers, Navigators, blah, blah, blah. A friend of mine at the office, knowing my predilection for cars, told me he would sell his 540 Sport to me for what the dealer would give him as a trade on a new TrailBlazer. I said "okay, let's go for a ride". We went for a ride and after experiencing a 182 horsepower D90 for several months, I said Christ, I'll take it. He said (or rather, the bad salesman in him did) "if you think this is fast, you should drive an M5". Long story short, I did my research, decided on Imola over Caramel as it seemed the "rarest" combination I could find, there was not one here in town, found it on the East coast and have been grinning ever since. The M5 is-by far-the most exhilerating, seductive, attractive piece of machinery you will find. I am having sooo much fun in this car-with the DSC off of course-it's insane.

By the way, I have three young daughters that I drive to school everyday, and I am now the coolest Dad at school. Instead of "my Dad can beat up your Dad" it's my Dad's car is faster than your Dad's car, na nanny pooh pooh". I love it. 2 seater sports cars are for the 3rd and 4th bay in your garage. The M5 is THE quintessential automobile, and if it weren't for the 3 lovely young ladies and their silly desire to go to College someday, I just might look REALLY hard at the new one.

Good luck.

03E39M5 said:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45565

"Lately, I have been struggling with the idea of selling my NSX even though after two years, I have finally got her darn near perfect fixing almost every little quirk that I could find. As much as I love driving it, I was looking to move to something that is not only fun to drive, but also more family orientated with the addition of our child earlier last year. In addition, my wife has been nagging me to consolidate my two cars into one nice car that more than just myself can go in to cut back on gas, insurance, property tax, etc..

I really like the looks and power of the M5's and was looking at the 2000-2001 range which goes for about 37-45K. I really like the new 500 HP M5's, but they are not only on a 2 year waiting list, but cost 90k as well. The 2000-2001 M5 has a respectable 400HP, 4.6-5.0 zero to sixty, 13.1 quarter mile times, and I have read glowing reviews on them in general. I was wondering what you think of the M5 compared to the NSX which I know is completely different in almost every way.

Also, I looked on a Bimmer forum and they didn't have anything like what NSXprime has, at least what I can find. The NSX community should really consider themselves lucky to have such a great resource and wealth of information like NSXPrime. With the NSX, I know to look for things like snap ring, climate control problems, windows, etc., but I have no idea what to look for with the M5. Potential maintenance problems and cost of it, blah, blah, blah. Anybody think I'm crazy here? Do you have any other suggestions as to what vehicle to buy or should I keep my NSX."
03E39M5 said:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Now I'm in both threads.

One of the things I said on NSXprime:

M5board.com is great. Very much like NSXprime, as in knowledgeable owners rather than 13 year old pretenders and e-baller/e-thugs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts