BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fork.

As someone who has owned both an NSX and now owns an M5, I can tell you, both cars are awesome. But in totally different ways.

I used my NSX every day, had it 2 years and put 35k miles on it. I can still remember every mile/smile.

I did a lot of track days on all the British motor racing circuits and the only problem I had was TYRES. IT EATS THEM. 4000 road miles on a set of Yokohamas, not unusual. I changed to Bridgestone in the end and used them up at about 10k miles and the ride was better.
Don’t let anyone tell you that the NSX is not as good as a ferrari (crap) If they do ask them how many miles they do in the Ferrari and how many miles they have driven in an NSX.

The build quality of the Honda (You get it as Accura I think) is FAR better than any Ferrari and even exceeds that of Porsche. The handling is superb. A guy called Tim Harvey who has been British touring car champion twice and has driven at Le Mans 24hr , drove mine at a circuit called Pembury in Wales and he said it was the best production sports car he had ever driven by far. Jonathan Palmer ex F1 driver has one as his chosen road car and he drove me round another circuit Bruntingthorpe and I was totally amazed at what he did with that car.

As I said, I now have an M5 and I love it to bits, its my 9th BMW "M" car and by F-A-R the best but a completely different car to the Honda. There is some special excitement about a 2-ton car that goes like **** off a shovel.
Take my tip, buy them both and put up with the fact that everyone will think you are mad for having a permanent grin on your face.

Brian R

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Having drivin both, I totally agree with you. however, my driving in the NSX was very limited. My thoughts were that it is extremely nimble, light and exceptionally well balanced. The M5 feels exceptionally balanced for what it is (a 4000lb mass) and IMHO it is the best overall car in the world- for someone like me. personally I feel "safer" in the M5 and I like its dual personality. the nsx is conforatble driving around, but isnt as flexible. I agree with you, anyone knocking the nsx should drive it- it is a great experience, and one I will never forget. btw- every day I drive the M5 I appreciate it more and more!

ME

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I'd have to agree. The NSX is THE everyday supercar. Incredibly practical, and yet completely wonderful. What really drove me is the 8500 rpm SCREAM of that little 6. Honda makes some of the best racing engines (too bad they dont have a quality team to go with them), and the NSX is a fine example of that.

For all purposes of practicality, I think that the NSX and M5 are your best bets, but hey, who doesn't want a 550 Maranello or a 360M Spyder to grace the garage with them? :)

--Dan

·
Registered
417 Posts
The NSX is a fine car, I have had limited driving experience with it and must say it is just another Japanese car. I've driven a Stillen Maxima for 4 years, and have owned other Japanese cars in the past...so I'll speak from my experiences.

The cars have no soul. No character. Hardly a history or heritage. They feel sterile.

I just read a magazine comparo between the IS300 and 328i...in the end it is concluded that the Lexus outperformed the BMW in every handling measure, yet the BMW felt better and given the choice it would be worth the extra $7K+ for the BMW. It is interesting to note that with a HP and torque disadvantage, the 328i outperformed the IS300 (only 70lbs. lighter) on the dragstrip.

Why is this? If you look at Japanese cars, they are always coming out with an "all-new" model where they brag about using none of the parts from the previos model. Is this something to be proud of? Where the previous parts that bad? Look at a Porsche...go back 30 years....still pretty much the same design...just constant improvements throughout the years. Same with many other European and some American cars.

I think this explains the *intangible* difference I feel when driving my Maxima, and then my little sister's 318...similar class of car but the BMW has a flavor that can't be touched by my Japanese car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I certainly didn't want to start a religious war with my M5 vs. NSX question. I was just so amazed at the performance of the NSX (I had never driven anything like it), and I was hoping for some reassurance that I wouldn't be let down by the performance of the M5.

...it doesn't sound like I will be let down.

-jay

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've owned four Porsche 911's over the years, the original "soul" machine. I owned and put about 40,000 miles on an NSX from 1991 until I bought my current 540ia in late '96. The NSX is a wonderful sports car with gobs of soul, but I traded it in more luggage and passenger capacity. If the M5 I'll be ordering this month infuses NSX-like performance and soul into the BMW 5 series, I can't imagine a better car.

Richard

·
Registered
100 Posts
NSX is an awesome car....
My brother has a '97 3.2L. It is very easy to drive fast every day and very comfortable. But its a different class with the M5. The M5 is my first european car, its sure is feels different than a Japs. I also have a '94 Supra TT ( 400 hp at the wheels Dynoed).

I agree with MEnthusiast, I got the beast because of its dual personality and its a four door that can beat an NSX in stock form. I definitely like all three cars for different occasions.

Sveilside

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well they are all nice cars, but in my case I don't have to sell one to buy the other.

I can have them all without paying but I can't have them all at the same time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have logged over 24,000 miles on a '91 NSX and I believe it is one of the nicest cars I've ever owned. I currently own a 2000 M5 and your are comparing apples to oranges, they are about as different as two cars can be, they are both wonderful in their own way though. You have to decide which one is going to fit your needs the best, with either car you can't go wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts