BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Dinan (full S2) or to Nowack that is the question ouich

Dinan For:
1) Reliability- I believe I read somewhere over 1,000 dyno pulls on his own car!
2) Meticulous engineering-Took over 2yrs just to rewrite the software for the ECU
3) Warranty will match BMW's-are they confident in thier work or what?
4) Strong Dealer Network-4 Dealer Distributors within a 3 1/2 drive of my location
5) Results-477 bhp and 415 ft/lbs of torque

Dinan Against:
1) The only thing I am able to come up with is that to some it is overpriced....I guess it depends on how much value one places on above!

Nowack For:
1) Decades of experience with BMW and BMW tuning-the father
2) Design and engineering seems to be well thought out and executed
3) Results-503 bhp and 465 ft/lbs of torque at 3400 rpm! You gotta love that!

Nowack Against:
1) No US dealer network-it appears that the car will have to be shipped to Germany and back (shudder)
2) I could not find warranty info in a language I understand
3) I also could not get any info from the website on pricing (if it is there it is not in english)

I welcome any and all Nowack or Dinan proponents. I believe in a systems approach to tuning, not much interested in mishmash. Seems to me that if it is worth doing then it is worth paying for!

:cheers: simmikie

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
depends on how fast you want to go...

Here are some thoughts..
Dinans s2 pkg has been known not to perform to numbers
its great stuff but as you stated over priced
warranty is sometimes an issue even with dinan....check out the latest owner vs dinan vs bmwusa beef

Nowack
pain in the butt to deal with
many people have sent cars but when the come back they dont perform as advertised as well
no warranty at all on US soil

I cant believe im going to say this...but i would choose dinan.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
If I were you I'd go with Dinan.

Do a search or simply ask Apples & CharlesW both of whom have had bad experiences with Nowack.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Some Nowack cars really perform well, dusting SL55 AMG, Diablos, 996TT X50, Viper etc easily. No question about it, the Nowack are really fast. But some cars did not perform so well, Do a search on members CharlesW and Apples, prefferably with Nowack as keyword.

Dinan S2 also delivers, check out me from last summer with the Dinan S2 video:

http://www.racevideo.info/Bmw/dinans2.wmv

·
Registered
463 Posts
simmikie said:
Dinan For:
1) Reliability- I believe I read somewhere over 1,000 dyno pulls on his own car!
3) Warranty will match BMW's-are they confident in thier work or what?
4) Strong Dealer Network-4 Dealer Distributors within a 3 1/2 drive of my location
Depends how much importance you place on 1, 3 & 4, versus your willingness to turn your M5 into a project in search of more performance. These are the best things Dinan brings to the table.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Re: simmikie ................

I can also say ther are people in Europe that have ripped out a total Dinan S2 conversion and had a Nowack after that (Member Mattar).

I would say for the money Nowack gives alot more.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Gustav said:
I can also say ther are people in Europe that have ripped out a total Dinan S2 conversion and had a Nowack after that (Member Mattar).

I would say for the money Nowack gives alot more.
Hello Gustav,

I've had the Dinan S2 video for awhile now, very impresseive. You state that "for the money Nowack gives you more", I have to wonder if that includes air freighting the car to and from Germany from the East Coast? No contensousness intended, that is a real question. I have no feel for what a Nowack N500 conversion costs and even more clueless about the costs involved with shipping a car overseas and back.

simmikie

B

·
0 Posts

simmikie said:
...the costs involved with shipping a car overseas and back.
One-Way Costs from East Coast:
- RORO (ship): 20 days, $900 (+3% of value of M5 for insurance).
- Private Container (ship): 20 days, $1,700 (+3% of value of M5 for insurance).
- Air-Freight: $7,000 (+3% of value of M5 for insurance).

Cheers, Daniel.

PS Dinan is your best bet, if you don't want to mix-match your own selection of mods. Please note that there are many mods not offered by Dinan or other tuners, so you will likely be mixing and matching even after the tuner conversions.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

BeastPower said:
One-Way Costs from East Coast:
- RORO (ship): 20 days, $900 (+3% of value of M5 for insurance).
- Private Container (ship): 20 days, $1,700 (+3% of value of M5 for insurance).
- Air-Freight: $7,000 (+3% of value of M5 for insurance).

Cheers, Daniel.

PS Dinan is your best bet, if you don't want to mix-match your own selection of mods. Please note that there are many mods not offered by Dinan or other tuners, so you will likely be mixing and matching even after the tuner conversions.
Thanks for the shipping info, it is actually less expensive than I would have thought, however 20 days each way by ship is unacceptable.

Yeah I agree with your p.s. when I say mismatch I mean going the headers by one tuner the exhaust by another and the ecu by still yet another tuner route. I think you choose a tuner and you purchase that tuners system because I believe they were engineered to work together.....a turn key solution.

:M5thumbs:simmikie

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Why dont you consider Racing Dynamics package...which bring M5 to 507HP...and cost about 25k...+there should be a warranty in US...

Although I dont now anybody who have done such conversion for M5...on this board...

DO a search there is into on this package, info has been posted by Beastpower so time ago...

Good luck..Nowack (no warranty) or Dinan (overpriced)....well I'd go for Racing Dynamics...(warranty and fair prices)...

Good Luck...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
m5 rus said:
Why dont you consider Racing Dynamics package...which bring M5 to 507HP...and cost about 25k...+there should be a warranty in US...

Although I dont now anybody who have done such conversion for M5...on this board...

DO a search there is into on this package, info has been posted by Beastpower so time ago...

Good luck..Nowack (no warranty) or Dinan (overpriced)....well I'd go for Racing Dynamics...(warranty and fair prices)...

Good Luck...
Thanks, I will look into it!

simmikie

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Or you can go will the Kelleners set up which is ALOT cheaper than both of the above

K.sport Engine Kit KS 5
Stufe 1
performance increase ca. 33 kW (45 HP); conversion: four sport camshafts,two sport airfilter two stainless steel-rear silencer, modification of electronic (max rpm. 7200 U/min.), top speed 303 kph; fitting incl. and documentation of performance on the rolling dyno € 6.900,-

K.sport Engine Kit KS 5
Stufe 2
performance increase ca. 48 kW (65 HP); conversion like stage 1, additional sport manifold and sport-catalytic converter, top speed 306 kph; fitting incl. and documentation of performance on the rolling dyno € 13.190,

:thumbsup:

And guess what! They have a delaer in the US. Check out their site www.kelleners-sport.com/

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Simmikie Stay on home soil, don't send your car to Germeny, and especially to Nowack.
My cars been fine since Nowack returned the engine.
Powerchip did a custon tune on top of all the work Nowack, and it only makes about 460 - 480hp after all their adjusting, nothing near 500hp Nowack claim, I can tell you that.
The stress I had to go through back then was a royal pain is the butt.
Nowadays the choices are so much broarder here in the US, so stay local and you can get 450-600hp on US shores.
APPLES

·
Registered
465 Posts
I guess you answered your own question. The option you haven't considered is a do it yourself. Biggest HP restrictions is found in the headers. Upgrading to SS or Hamanns (that is what I did) will give you more HP and TQ through the entire RPM band. Don't know the current prices but you will receive more than half the Dinan S2 package gains by that mod alone. (preferably you do the whole exhaust system..some more gains and incredible sound and finish with a huge weight saving). All the intake modifications are hardly noticable. Cams are another mod that will give you real gains. With cams and full exhaust, I went from 338 whp to 385 - 392 depending on tuning.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts