BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen one and Im seriously thinking of buying it. Its got 80k on it and the conversion was done when the car was new.

Im a bit worried about the miles to be honest because its such a high power car and no one gets a Nowack conversion and drives like a panzy.

Opinons required.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to mention,

its actually 87k miles.

Lots of playing around with intake, manifold, exhaust etc etc to give 503 bhp @ 7700 rpm and 460 approx lb.ft @ 3800 rpm.

Owned by massive company who always have interesting cars and its been on the motorway alot which was given away by the massive amounts of stone chips. Everything else is just excelllent on the car, very very clean.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Cyrus,

I saw that car on auto trader too.... it does sound good and for the price its aslo good considering its been tuned so well. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cyrus said:
Ive seen one and Im seriously thinking of buying it. Its got 80k on it and the conversion was done when the car was new.

Im a bit worried about the miles to be honest because its such a high power car and no one gets a Nowack conversion and drives like a panzy.

Opinons required.
I have a great deal of experience with high powered cars and tuning of them. This includes M5, E 55, and 911 Turbo done by Hartge, Nowack, Dinan, ,AMG, Carlsson, Brabus, Renntech, Ruf, Techart, RS Tuning respectively, either owned by myself or friends of mine. One word: All cars bar NONE is driven to the MAX!! I would not be the second! However, if you can get it cheap enough and are ready for a rebuild in the future you can have alot of fun.:viking:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Did you see a dyno, cuz I remember apples converetion didn't provide anywhere the claimed power. Asking cuz you want to know what you are getting.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Another M5 owner from UK also had a Nowak conversion and it ended up as a nightmare with the local BMW dealer having to spend 2 - 3 weeks top rectify the problems. Remember him coming to Santa Pod on one of our meets and it was no faster than a standard M5. Posted on here a few times

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was tempted by this car too. The green colour put me off and it also has the SES light on and has fault codes for MAFS and CATS. Also is quite lumpy on low revs, could be the MAFS though.

It looks value for money at 19995.00 for a 51 plate. The car definatly needs a rolling road to see if it has 500 bhp.

Still thinking about it.........

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fault codes are worrying and the dealer said he would have to sort this out. Is he really going to change the cats and the mafs??

I'm very wary of cars like this, I doubt very much it would make claimed figures. To be really honest I would be more than happy with a real 400bhp M5 with lower mileage.

If he can put it on a dyno and show me 490+ bhp I might buy it.

We shall see.

Adding proper manifolds and similar intakes (ITG can do this) to a good M5 would result in a car which would not be far off Nowack's performance on the road.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Cyrus said:
The fault codes are worrying and the dealer said he would have to sort this out. Is he really going to change the cats and the mafs??

I'm very wary of cars like this, I doubt very much it would make claimed figures. To be really honest I would be more than happy with a real 400bhp M5 with lower mileage.

If he can put it on a dyno and show me 490+ bhp I might buy it.

We shall see.

Adding proper manifolds and similar intakes (ITG can do this) to a good M5 would result in a car which would not be far off Nowack's performance on the road.
He's not gonna be able to show you 490 hp, simply cuz he's not remove the engine to dyno it. Best your gonna get is wheel hp, which might be 400 which would be pretty good.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YOu can have a dyno done for the flywheel figure. Alot of dyno's in the UK have shown to be very accurate when it comes to calculating losses through the drivetrain.

Exmaples: 318i E36 usually always show 115 bhp which is stock. My E34 M5 shows 305 bhp and 315 bhp is stock but it does have 170k on it and needs the vlave clearances doing. Alpina C2 2.7 yesterday made 212 bhp and stock is 210 bhp. Obvioulsy not every dyno is like this, its the ones that I know very well which I have used for group dyno days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cyrus said:
YOu can have a dyno done for the flywheel figure. Alot of dyno's in the UK have shown to be very accurate when it comes to calculating losses through the drivetrain.

Exmaples: 318i E36 usually always show 115 bhp which is stock. My E34 M5 shows 305 bhp and 315 bhp is stock but it does have 170k on it and needs the vlave clearances doing. Alpina C2 2.7 yesterday made 212 bhp and stock is 210 bhp. Obvioulsy not every dyno is like this, its the ones that I know very well which I have used for group dyno days.
As I responded earlier about the Nowack 500. Drive it. It funny how a Hartge with only 450 HP beats the **** out of it!!! Try it, do not fool your self. The guys that has done this game for 30 +years do know what they are doing. Like Hartge, they could easily claim 500 hp. However, they always understate their performance, but they do PERFORM!!! Drive one of their cars and you see!!:viking:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If he can get rid of the fault codes I will go and rive it otherwise its pointless.

If he decides to get a dyno done at a reputable place then IM interested.

Ive been stungf like this before buying what I thought was a very powerful car and it turned out to have less BHP than the standard cars.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just spent an hour reading those threads and firmly decided to avoid the nowack car at all costs.

Standard M5 is all I need!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Cyrus said:
I just spent an hour reading those threads and firmly decided to avoid the nowack car at all costs.

Standard M5 is all I need!
or go for a kelleners m5 like mine ;) :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats a huge list of mods!

Hows about a demonstration since we both live in the same town!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts