BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve just been informed from M-Motorsport in Germany that they have produced a new set of "wheels" for the VANOS system that should kill the diesel-sound for good !!
They still have a few details to fix as there is two kinds of noise: The standing noise, and the noise while driving.
According to BMW ALL OF THE M5´s WILL BE CALLED IN TO RECIEVE THIS REPAIR !! But we have to be patient as they can only produce a small amount of kits each month.

Yeeha ! Looking forward getting the real M5 sound back...

PS! I tried the Z8....whoooo!! aint that a nice (diesel) convertible !! Yep - it has the same problem ! (But a very very very very powerfull and "headturner" car anyway)

Nille.

------------------

·
Registered
75 Posts
It is reassuring to hear that BMW are finally acknowledging the problem!

No doubt like a number of owners, I too find the VANOS noise a little disconcerting and I hope no damage is being caused to the rest of the motor.

BMW already do a repair kit, but I understand that this is only realy a temporary fix and that the diesel sound noise may return at a latter date. Presumably the new "wheels" is more a permanent repair.

Please do keep us informed and if you can get any further details (part No, etc) do post the data.

Cheers

·
Registered
592 Posts
Is the diesel sound you are experiencing continuous or is it intermittent? Mine only does it occasionally and of course never does it in front of a BMW rep. PLEASE keep us informed, I hate having to blast the stereo at a light to mask the sound,
not really, but it is pretty annoying.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did they say anything about late '00 or early '01 models being manufactured with the changes already in place?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Nille,
thanks for the update- this is good news. how much driving did you get in the Z8; could you give a quick review? seems like a very nice car!

ME

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm having mine modified tomorrow. According to the people at the dealer, some sort of additional oil pump is being installed.

I had the "original" rebuild-kit installed a few months back, but that didn't really make a difference. I'll let you all know later in the week.

Søren
'99 CarbonBlack, 45.000 km

·
Registered
27 Posts
Still at the dealer. Service inspection done on same occasion revealed MAJOR problem with right front brake. The part needed to fix this is not even in stock in Germany (!), so they're waiting....

Time to go looking for a better car, I guess.....

Søren

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine will be modified (repaired..) wednesday this week. I will as Søren give U an update on the result - I will even try to get a photo of the hopefully long lasting NEW Vanos repair-kit...

Nille.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Also - if you could provide us with any other information about this VANOS update, it would be appreciated. Part numbers? Technical Bulletin information, etc... that we could use when dealing with our own (usually clueless) service advisors.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had my M5 in today for the 1200 mile service. They looked at me like I had two heads when I told them about the Vanos fix.

Needless to say I'm still waiting.!!

07/00 M5 Tit/Silv

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Patience my frinds... I will give you ALL the information I can get hold of asap :)

Nille

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have 3000+ miles on my M5 and i can not understand how to determine of I have the VANOS problem. What are the symptoms? The engine sounds ok as far as I can tell.
Is that that a general problem with all M5 or a defect on some cars?

Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Albert,

It´s a general problem. All of the M5´s have a problem with either VANOS or oil-pump (or both). The newly produced M5´s (march production) is made with the new oil-pump, so they "only" have the VANOS problem.
The problem is that your engine sound like a diesel in idle mode (700rpm)...klak-klak-klak. The noise gets louder and louder as time goes, but fortunately BMW has now produced a repair-kit that schould solve this.

I will post pictures and p/n on the repairkit on this board asap.

Nille.

Originally posted by AlbertM:
I have 3000+ miles on my M5 and i can not understand how to determine of I have the VANOS problem. What are the symptoms? The engine sounds ok as far as I can tell.
Is that that a general problem with all M5 or a defect on some cars?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Nille.

Which dealer is fixing your vanos problem. My dealer has'nt heard about it even that they have sold 9 M5's, which I believe is the biggest number by any dealer in DK. Please let me know.

Did you see the invitation from Klas to you and me to come to Sweden and see his M5?

Carsten

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Thank you for keeping us informed. My dealer said my car (build 5/00) was the quietest they heard, but the vanos sound was still there. as I understand it- this sound is annoying to some people but this problem is simply an annoying sound, not something that will end up harming the engine right? I have no problems "living with" the sound, but if its a mechanical defect, then I will move quickly to get it repaired. Btw- nevermind the sound at 700rpm- how about that sound at 7000 rpm!

ME

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Carsten.

Then you must have bought your car at Soren Hvalsoe right ?? But I can tell you that they know about the problem !!! But as the rest of the dealers they have been told by BMW Import in DK not to make any "noise" about this issue,- and to shake their head whenever a customer makes a complaint about this.
If you send me an e-mail I will tell you all I know about this VANOS-problem.

Nille.

Originally posted by carsten:
Hi Nille.

Which dealer is fixing your vanos problem. My dealer has'nt heard about it even that they have sold 9 M5's, which I believe is the biggest number by any dealer in DK. Please let me know.

Did you see the invitation from Klas to you and me to come to Sweden and see his M5?

Carsten

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I´ve been told that it will NOT damage the engine... BUT !! In my book, if the noise gets worse as time goes then somehow the VANOS will be damaged over time. Therefore I advise you (and the rest of this board) to go to their dealer with the p/n and picture of the repairkit (I will put it on this board next week) and make them FIX it NOW !!

Nille

Originally posted by MEnthusiast:
Thank you for keeping us informed. My dealer said my car (build 5/00) was the quietest they heard, but the vanos sound was still there. as I understand it- this sound is annoying to some people but this problem is simply an annoying sound, not something that will end up harming the engine right? I have no problems "living with" the sound, but if its a mechanical defect, then I will move quickly to get it repaired. Btw- nevermind the sound at 700rpm- how about that sound at 7000 rpm!

ME

·
Registered
66 Posts
They will change mainly the oil pump of the VANOS system. There is the major fault. To use the ticking VANOS for a long time can cause a higher wear inside the system, because of the too low pressure and oil amounbt which is provided to the single VANOS parts along the engine. Therefore it is recommended to push BMW and the dealers further on to repair it as soon as possible.

------------------
///Chris

·
Registered
138 Posts
My M5 production month is 4/00 and do not hear any ticking when idle, cold, warm or high revs.
Does that mean I have no problem? Should I still go to my dealer and have them look at it?
It is strange since so many on this MB complain about engine noise. I also do not have slipping clutch problem. Hmmm, this really puzzles me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts