BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i made a number of complaints about this. the car when in place and in neutral will vibrate around 2.5-3k. it also does this in gear while moving. the car has been checked and nothing has been found. i have asked to check if the exhaust is touching anywhere and it wasn't. i have also asked to check the cam shaft sensor and the vanos, both came back without faults. the delearship claims it's normal operational behavior. does anyone else have/had this problem. if so, what was the cause?

·
Registered
259 Posts
ContractR said:
i made a number of complaints about this. the car when in place and in neutral will vibrate around 2.5-3k. it also does this in gear while moving. the car has been checked and nothing has been found. i have asked to check if the exhaust is touching anywhere and it wasn't. i have also asked to check the cam shaft sensor and the vanos, both came back without faults. the delearship claims it's normal operational behavior. does anyone else have/had this problem. if so, what was the cause?
My car does the same thing - 2001 with 13,000 miles. I noticed one night while I was bored just sitting and revving the engine waiting for the wife to come out of the grocery store.

Odd thing is it does not seem to be present while driving or at least it is not really noticeable at all. Not sure what it is - obviously something is out of balance. If disconnected from the rest of the drivetrain it must be coming from the engine alone if you can sit and rev it as mine does and still vibrates in neutral. I have see nother posts on this same thing without a cure or a cause.

Most dealers throw out the "that is normal operation for an engine of the high performance calibre such as the M" BS - they just don't know what causes it.

Maybe BMWNA should take a customers car with the complaint and have some specialized techs look at it and finally solve it. My guess it is a component of the engine that has not been properly balanced.

It is definitely not normal - will it hurt anything?... that remains to be seen.

-Jeff
[email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts