BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I see references to two alternative oils (as opposed to Castrol 10w60) - LubriMoly and LiquiMoly.

Are these two the same thing under slightly different brand names? Or are they in fact different from each other, and if so, is one preferred in the community?

I'm coming up on the first oil change in my 2003 beast and I'm interested in the lower cost and lower waste from the non-Castrol offerings. Any clarification appreciated.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I believe they are same company with different names. I just did oil change with my liqui moly 10w60 this morning. 10 liters with an oil filter from FCP for $110. It is cheaper than $160 for TWS oil.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Mobil 1 5w50 seems a fine oil to try....totally different from 5-30, 5-40 and 15-50 so dont get confused. OE fill for viper and Gt40 as I recall. I run it in my P car, and have often threatened to move to one oil for both. ;) Not to make this an oil thread or nuthin... just to give you something to consider/research

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
A Viper isn't really even engineered :eek:

Maybe the different names denote different levels of quality. I have read quite often that manufacturers produce different quality levels of the same product and the good stuff is only sold as OE products with the car manufacturer's band on it and even then the parts of supplies must be purchased from a known good dealer at full price, otherwise you might get old stock or cast offs.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I have used Mobil1 0w40, Mobil1 5w50, Castrol TWS 10w60 and Lubro Moly 10w60 in the S62. From my limited experience, I'd run Mobil1 5w50 for daily driving all year round or LM 10w60 in the warmer months only IF you intend to track the car (spirited driving doesn't warrant that thick a grade). My oil change interval is between 3000 to 6000 miles, depending on the duty cycle (I count every 100 track miles as 1000 miles).

Reactions: gsfent

·
4,353 Posts
liqui moly is the actual company

lubro moly is the name used in the U.S. (maybe elsewhere too) iirc it's because someone else owns the liqui moly name in the U.S.

i've seen lubri moly too, i think thats an older version of lubro moly (often used by napa)

in the end it should be the same oil for the 60 weight (not sure if lubro moly takes advantage of the "synthetic oil" naming scheme available in the U.S.)

·
Registered
352 Posts
For those interested, Napa has 5w50 on sale for $5.99/quart as a monthly special. Regular price is $9.79. My local Napa was able to order some for me since it is usually not stocked.

·
Registered
222 Posts
For those interested, Napa has 5w50 on sale for $5.99/quart as a monthly special. Regular price is $9.79. My local Napa was able to order some for me since it is usually not stocked.
E39 M5 requires 10w60, not 5w50...

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK, I see references to two alternative oils (as opposed to Castrol 10w60) - LubriMoly and LiquiMoly.

Are these two the same thing under slightly different brand names? Or are they in fact different from each other, and if so, is one preferred in the community?

I'm coming up on the first oil change in my 2003 beast and I'm interested in the lower cost and lower waste from the non-Castrol offerings. Any clarification appreciated.

It's definitely less expensive than TWS. You can get LiquiMoly on Amazon with free shipping, as well. As previously mentioned, expect around $110 for 10L and a filter.

·
Registered
529 Posts
As long as you use full synthetic it doesn't matter :biggrinbounce:
Lol on this one. I still shake my head when thinking about Rob's build thread. The Supertech synthetic is like $17 for 5 qts. He has to go with the $11 dino-oil jug instead. A $6 middle finger to the man.

Rao, you are one anachronistic SOB.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
It's definitely less expensive than TWS. You can get LiquiMoly on Amazon with free shipping, as well. As previously mentioned, expect around $110 for 10L and a filter.

Less expensive = worse

Lol on this one. I still shake my head when thinking about Rob's build thread. The Supertech synthetic is like $17 for 5 qts. He has to go with the $11 dino-oil jug instead. A $6 middle finger to the man.

Rao, you are one anachronistic SOB.

:dunno: my engine builder doesn't recommend synthetic...

FWIW, I disagree with the word anachronistic.

·
13,589 Posts
if that's M1, then it's the US spec oil (which is junk according to the BITOG forums). The stuff you want is the euro spec, you can get it from AV lube online.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My local Napa carries the LM 10-60 for $50 for a 5L jug. I told them I could get it for same price somewhere else (online) not mentioning shipping and they dropped price to $45 for 5L without hesitation. The store clerk also told me to next time come back on the 2nd Saturday of the month between 7a-10a, everything in the store is 30% off! Not sure if that applies to all Napa stores or just my local one. But I'm going up there this Sat to see if it's true. That would work out at $7 a litre for the Liqui Moly 10-60! ($35 for 5L jug)

Reactions: ///DeafM5

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
if that's M1, then it's the US spec oil (which is junk according to the BITOG forums). The stuff you want is the euro spec, you can get it from AV lube online.
Interesting...now you're gonna make me look up the actual specs for both....

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Interesting...now you're gonna make me look up the actual specs for both....
No need to check - everybody knows Euro Spec > US Spec

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
My local Napa carries the LM 10-60 for $50 for a 5L jug. I told them I could get it for same price somewhere else (online) not mentioning shipping and they dropped price to $45 for 5L without hesitation. The store clerk also told me to next time come back on the 2nd Saturday of the month between 7a-10a, everything in the store is 30% off! Not sure if that applies to all Napa stores or just my local one. But I'm going up there this Sat to see if it's true. That would work out at $7 a litre for the Liqui Moly 10-60! ($35 for 5L jug)
It is good deal. I buy oil from Napa sometime. I go to Napa warehouse in Middletown because they always have Liqui moly in stock. I think they stopped carrying 1 liter bottles though.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I use snake oil. Its difficult to get hold of in the UK but its widely available in the US. Everyone talks about it on forums and so it must be pretty good. I certainly haven't blown the motor up yet

1 - 20 of 28 Posts