BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now been in the new house for a month and going back to working out costs. I'm 30, no accidents, no points, do 12,000 miles a year, including no depreciation and no failures with my own servicing the M5 costs £4,650 over 12,000 miles. Thats at 22mpg. Its no so expensive that I'm having a real hard time justifying keeping it.

The only positive is that when I drive it, it still feels quite special and I really want to keep it but next to something like a Focus Diesel...

My sister is getting a brand new Freelander for work and doing the sums, its going to cost her £1 a mile, every mile, for the next 30,000 miles over 3 years. I can't imagine how anyong justify's it. Its actually cheaper for her to fly to New York and back than it is to drive to Cardiff and back?

About 25% of me wants to just chuck it all in and get some 15 year old Diesel and run it on veg. I have tried running 2 cars in the past but the M5 would always just sit on the drive as anywhere I went it was always easier to use the little Diesel. Hence I don't want to go back to two cars.

Is anyone else having difficulties looking at their fuel receipts and accepting it?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I know what you mean an have just gone down the 2 car route myself.....this week.

A £200 mondeo with tax and test thats a 35mpg urban TDi machine is hard to get out of when you think about fuel costs, but i'm hoping that the M will be saved for weekends and special trips, thus saving her on the mileage and my wallet.

Do you not think that if you want the M5 enough you can stick to that mantra instead of the "can't be bothered getting it off the drive" feeling?

from my point of view i do 12000 in the M5 a year at this point also. I figure thats about £4500 ish in fuel in the real world give or take.

If i can run the mondeo for oly half those miles, so 6000, i'd save £2250. That means if it cost me less than £2250 to run the mondy for 6k then its actually cheaper to run the 2 cars.

I know you've probably already worked this out and i'm not telling you to suck eggs but in reality, its exactly that thought why i should keep the M5.

Perversly its so expensive to run, that you are in a position to have another car you care not a jot about, and do the same mileage, yet STILL have the M5 AND save money???

When i think of it that way its the ONLY choice.

I figure out that this way, the M5 feels all the more special when you dive in it, as opposed to having - OK a very enjoyable - drive to work or the supermarket, and worrying about some balloon dinging it with a wayward trolley or such.

I also think it means theres no pressure to do things on the car in a given timeframe to get it all back together to use it as a daily driver. You can take your time and just use the snotter whilst you wait for your parts/a dry day etc etc

·
Registered
585 Posts
i have recently only been using mine evenings and weekends for all the same reasons.
i run a 2001 espace that i lob everything in and run it to ***** , i do take the m5 out to work the odd time.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If you drive something cheap and crap for a while and you will seriously regret selling the M5, unless you don't enjoy driving and just want something completely utilitarian (I'm assuming this is not the case as you bought an M5 to start with.)

There is no such thing a a cheap car, they all need to be taxed, insured, fueled and repaired. When you put your foot down and nothing happens you will realise that the extra costs of the M5 were worth it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i have recently only been using mine evenings and weekends for all the same reasons.
i run a 2001 espace that i lob everything in and run it to ***** , i do take the m5 out to work the odd time.
I bought my M5 not for any other reason than I wanted it!!!!!
Yes you could find much cheaper vehicles to do the a to b journeys but you drive in my opinion
one of the most desirable cars of its type full stop.
I dont drink or smoke,and only will do about 2000 miles a year in the M5.
Its ridiculously expensive motoring.........but I don't have to justify it to anyone,especially
myself!
Keep it! You'll miss it if you sell it!!!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If I lived in the UK where you guys get all the cool small cars with diesel or decent "petrol" engines I'd be hard-pressed to daily drive an M5. I'd buy a last-gen Focus (the good one, not the turd we get here) or comparable small car and keep the M5 to feel special in whenever the mood suits. I can't imagine it wouldn't end up paying for itself looking at the numbers you've posted.

·
Registered
585 Posts
i think youll regret it,i do under 1000 miles a year in mine but worth every penny..
i have condemed mine to stay forever regardless.itll be my old mans sunday tinker car for when im older.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I know what you mean, I'm doing the best part of 20,000 miles a year in the M5 and it's not exactly cheap motoring!

However, last year I had a 330d Touring which was supposed to be for normal use, hardly ever used it so I sold it. I just found that if I wanted to go anywhere I chose the M5 every time. I have a Toyota Yaris which was bought for my 2 eldest children to learn to drive and to provide a runabout for going to town and shopping etc. or any time I know I'll have to park where there is a risk of door dings! That's done 5,000 miles in nearly 3 years.

The way I look at it is that it will probably not be too long before using the M5 every day will become almost impossible, fuel will be £10/L at least and the roads will be even more congested than they are now. I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Cemessi, drop the engine out of your m5 and embark on some kind of semi feasible and epic engine mods that will see it off the road for the next six weeks. You will find the six weeks actually turn into months, you will then have to buy a cheap beater to get around in while the m5 is being modified, in the mean time your fuel cost will be a lot less :)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had an ECO4 previously which was £35 road tax and got me from London to Glasgow and back on less than 50 litres (70mpg).

When you have a car that does 10p/mile its hard to ever use the one that does 40p/mile.

Problem is I can't imagine the car it even worth selling...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I had an ECO4 previously which was £35 road tax and got me from London to Glasgow and back on less than 50 litres (70mpg).

When you have a car that does 10p/mile its hard to ever use the one that does 40p/mile.

Problem is I can't imagine the car it even worth selling...
Sounds like a perfect two-car situation to me.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My thoughts are a $400/hour prostitute is expensive... but what an amazing ride. The journey is worth the price IMO.
Are you Elliot Spitzer? Joking of course :7: However you are spot on in regards to talking about an amazing ride. Many people have their vices and my guess would be just about everyone on this board uses cars to quell such vices. To the average person, spending so much might be insane, but not to the board members here. Frankly, there are some hobbies that could cost much more than this. Cars are one of the best hobbies. Reason being.... you can embellish in it just about anywhere you go.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have had my E39 since 2005 and the ride and overall satisfaction I get from the car is so great that the fuel costs don't even register.

It's as if you got to sleep with a super model every night and she spent a lot of your money on her La Perla underwear.

You put up with the expense because the pleasure is so great.

Enjoy your M5, you will regret selling it.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
From what I can tell, petrol is about $3.15 a US gallon in LA, would it make you feel differently if it was $8.00 a US gallon? That's about what it is in the UK.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I barely use mine enough to notice. I have a Land Rover as my main car which (the old one) was pretty good on fuel. I bought a 2007 Discovery3 to replace it as it was getting long in the tooth, and I go to the petrol station every 8 days and it costs me over £100 to fill it up. I thought about it the other day, and if I were to use the M5 which would be getting probably 24mpg it wouldn't be too dissimilar to running the Disco at 27mpg everyday. I also look at how much my car is worth and whether or not it would be worth me selling it and what I would do with the money. It's not worth a lot and I would waste the money, so it stays.

cheers

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
From what I can tell, petrol is about $3.15 a US gallon in LA, would it make you feel differently if it was $8.00 a US gallon? That's about what it is in the UK.

If USA gas was 8 bucks a gallon I would not turn in my M5.

I love the car way to much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
50+--15odd

Hi all,i just changed back to my M5 from a run-around pug 2.0 hdi.No more 50+mpg for me!

I was 2mths without my Beast and to have it back i dont care if the Pug WAS DOING 100+MPG.This is from someone without a job also,i do have my own garage to do the odd wee job on friends cars mind.So that helps with the fuel costs,plus hoping to get back to work this mth.

I reckon if you have the choice to jump between two cars daily/week-ends whatever,it makes the M5 feel like a new car every time you jump into it. LOL am back to looking out the window every hr to check on the M5.

Paul..

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its the house thats the major change in my life. I have very rarely had to take out a loan for anything but now I have a massive one which over 25 years will mean I will have paid 60% interest on it. Every loan I've had in the past I've paid off over a very short time and paid almost no interest at all so I'm finding it difficult not to shave every expense I can.

Our mortgage allows us to make overpayments upto £500 and the effect of that on the total amount owed is dramatic. If I took the money I spend on the M5 per month (about £400) and put it in the mortgage, it reduces the duration from 25 years to 15 years 11 months. The total I'll have put in is £43,200 but by reducing the payments I'll have saved £136,404. These numbers are truely massive.

So although I know its a little unfair to multiply out the cost but you can see why I do it, therefore fuel costs me 3.1 times as much, which means petrol/diesel is £4.10 a litre. When its that expensive, driving a car that does 22mpg is very difficult indeed.

Bloody tax :(

·
Registered
595 Posts
Its the house thats the major change in my life. I have very rarely had to take out a loan for anything but now I have a massive one which over 25 years will mean I will have paid 60% interest on it. Every loan I've had in the past I've paid off over a very short time and paid almost no interest at all so I'm finding it difficult not to shave every expense I can.

Our mortgage allows us to make overpayments upto £500 and the effect of that on the total amount owed is dramatic. If I took the money I spend on the M5 per month (about £400) and put it in the mortgage, it reduces the duration from 25 years to 15 years 11 months. The total I'll have put in is £43,200 but by reducing the payments I'll have saved £136,404. These numbers are truely massive.

So although I know its a little unfair to multiply out the cost but you can see why I do it, therefore fuel costs me 3.1 times as much, which means petrol/diesel is £4.10 a litre. When its that expensive, driving a car that does 22mpg is very difficult indeed.

Bloody tax :(
What you say is true and makes alot of sense,but I know and have heard of so many people saving for their pensions etc and going without through their lives etc only to drop off their perch early.
this is just my opinion but I think you deserve a bit of 'me time' in there if possible!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts