BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Marcelo said:
Sorry, my wrong.
Actually, Marcelo, that was a good catch on your part! Had the square mirrors not been part of the US-spec, then that could have saved nxm5 a lot of headaches! It's the little details that at times should scream "Run Away!!"

I didn't realize that the US cars had those mirrors, either.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Be-U-T-Full!

A shimmering, black 850 CSi 6-speed!!! Wow! Make sure this car has proper records of all maintenance. Take it to a BMW dealer who has experience with this car and can examine it from top to bottom for any mechanical or electrical defects. Do compression and leak-down tests on that awesome V12. If everything is fine, be prepared to own a very rare and very beautiful car, but be prepared to shell out for maintenance when expensive parts are needed for repair. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to talk to Dr. Paul. This car has fantastic road presence! Let us know what you find out. Beewang is already salivating. mmmmmm

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks Teutonaddict, there are so many 'faked' "M" cars that we are suspicious about the slightest detail.

:cheers: marcelo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
thanks everyone for your input. the car is being checked out sometime next week by a board member. you guys are awesome.

nw

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I saw that ad on Autotrader, too. Wow. $60k for a 1994 w/auto trans. How much were these cars new? $60k for a nearly 10 year old car (albeit with low miles) seems like a lot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I saw that ad on Autotrader, too. Wow. $60k for a 1994 w/auto trans.
Nope, not an original 850CSi. No automatics came from the factory. Having said that, I do know of a CSi that was converted to automatic (why, I do not know) and Alpina may have dabled in doing it as well. Mike Coenan's site referenced shows that cars with the S70 engine (CSi) had 6-speed manuals - even the Alpina B12 5.7 (5.0 were M70 Ci cars which did come with automatics).
Paul

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
NXM5;
$38K sounds almost too good to be true. I don't know what their blue book or true value is. But if the car checks out, go for it. It would be a unique and rare car. I like the 8 series and once considered an 840i. It would have been one of the last 8's sold new in NC (a '97 model in 1998). BTW, I ran across this web site with neat 850CSI information and videos. http://www.bmw850.de/english.html I don't think the 850CSI would have the quickness of the M5 because of its gearing but it would be an awesome car to own.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The 850CSi prices I have seen on Autotrader in the past few years have been in the $50,000 range, so if this car checks out $38,000 is a great price.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Marcelo said:
I thought the CSi should have the "M" side mirrors...not the standard 840/850 mirrors featured on the pics. Double check this, I'm pretty sure about it.
And the exhaust tips? are those original Csi?

brgds, marcelo
Those look like they might be Dinan exhaust tips. I kinda thought the stock ones were squarish. There's an 850CSi in Reno that has a few Dinan goodies on it...what a sweet car.
I hope this one pans out for you! Good luck!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Interesting tidbit: about six months ago, someone sold a 20,000 mile S70 engine with six-speed gearbox on EBay for $13k. That should give you an idea of how rare these suckers are. Man, that S70 engine is a beast.

My old mechanic occasionally worked on an 850CSi, and I wanted to bow in reverence every time I saw it. So sweet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
bleh

apparently, maine mutual isn't interested in insuring me with an m5 AND an 850. not like, oh it will be 9 grand to insure you (about double what it is now,) but no we won't even give you a number.

not sure what im gonna do. keep you all posted.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
chunpng said:

Especially rare if it's a 6 speed.

While I love the 8 series, I'm still a sucker for the M6s.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CP
The CSI has never been delivered with a auto box. ( at least NOT in Europe )
If it does exist CSI`s with auto box it must be for the US marked for you guys that can not handle a stick :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
There was a black 850CSi being offered for sale in Florida recently that had been in a front end wreck. Wonder if this is the on you're looking at. Get the VIN number of the car and do either an Auto Check report or a CarFax report on the car as a starting point.

Trust me, once you drive an 850CSi, you never want to part with it. See how I know -

21 - 37 of 37 Posts