BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so the first bmw i fell in love with was an 850 my dad used to have, but he had to get rid of it because my step mom was pure and unequivocabal evil... well, i found one in florida that i really like, but i have reservations about buying from a private seller, esp since price seems a little high for me... but it sort of is a collectors car. i dunno. tell me what you think.

the info:
1994 bmw 850CSi
52k mi
loaded
6-sp
asking $38

the images:

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would say ask one of your fellow board members in FL to check it out. The car looks great but that does not mean anything. Could have been wrecked, repainted, who knows. I LOVE the car though. It has always been one of my favorites and if I had the extra cashish I would dump it on her. Murph

·
Registered
999 Posts
Looks nice. Where in Florida is it? While not an 850 expert, if close by I could take some detailed photos of it for you and give you a rundown on visible problems. Let me know where it's at.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks beautiful.
I really like the looks of the 850. And the CSI has held its value
very well.
I checked out some some prices about six months ago, and
this seems like a good deal, if the mechanicals and body are
all in good shape.
Good luck!

Bert

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
///M8

isnt the 850CSi the vehicle that was being considered to be the ///M8? If so- me likey. Ive always loved the 8 series look and this is the one. Theres a lot of forward (for the time) technology in the 8 series, so be careful about long term reliability. Definately worth it to seek out an 8 series expert. If you have no idea, perhaps you should contact the BMW CCA.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have been in contact with some guys who live and breathe the CSi, and they pointed out a few problems, but it isn't anything im not willing to deal with.

I am pretty sure you are right about the ///m8 thing, would make sense considering the v12 and the six speed. naaaaasty.

and i talked to the local dinan guy, who says and i quote "an 850? yeah, bring it in, we'll take care of ya. tell you what, i will do the work for free if you let me have it for a month." I couldn't tell whether the :biggrin: was because he was kidding or serious.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I love the 850CSI also. I think you should try to speak to some other 850CSI owners and find out some common problem areas and then ask a freind in Florida to check the car out with specific reference to these areas. One person you might wish to contact is Dr. Paul on this board. His 850CSI is in beautiful condition and he may know of some common problem areas.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Asking $38? Heck, I'll pay fifty dollars!

I assume you meant $38K. Not bad.

I briefly owned a black '94 850CSi in Nevada; didn't keep it long enough to have to pay for maintenance. As I recall, it had about two of every expensive component.

In late 1998 (I think), I paid about $49K for the car, which had about 30K miles. At the time, Kelley Blue Book said about $62K retail, as I liked to tell my wife. Wonder if this is the same car?

I liked to think of it as the M8, but it really isn't, although the engine in the CSi was built by BMW Motorsport. That's because there was supposed to be a much hotter M8 that never made production.

There were only about 200 CSis in the U.S., and only for 1994 and 1995. By the way, it's not the 12 cylinders per se that makes it special; all 850s were V12s. (There were also 840s with the 4.0 liter V8). And six speed manuals were not rare in "regular" 850s. However, the V12 in the CSi is special: 5.6 liters vs. 5.4 in the regular 850, and 372 hp vs. 296.

My driving impressions were that it was fast and smooth, but I honestly felt my Korman turbocharged E34 525i (with H&R springs, Bilstein sports and Dinan swaybars) was a better handler. I never had the CSi on the track, though.

It's beautiful, but no E39 M5. I do like it though, and I'm in central Florida if you'd like me to deliver the car to you. ;-)

Richard
'00 M5
'88 M3

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
The 850csi a terrific car and this one looks like a beauty but as the other members have noted, some homework and talking to someome who really knows this car could save you some major grief. Your experience and enjoyment of this car needs to start on a positive note.

Good Luck
T.

·
Registered
548 Posts
GD!!! That thing is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!;)

Tell ya what, I'd buy it if you hesitate. I understand that:
1) like silver streak said, the king of all 8 series is the 850CSI.
2) A 850 CSI in excellent condition will be worth a few bucks in a few years.

good luck, and I hope you get it.

beewang:viking:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hello NXM5,
From the photos, it is a beauty. With the mileage posted, there aren't many problems you should need to worry about. A good place to search is linked below. Use the search feature to find many pre-purchase lists. I am thrilled with my car and in fact the German title as well as registration lists it as an M8. The BMW website has it as one of the "M" cars inthe "M" link and the Official M-Series book as well as the BMW magazine published when the car came out lists it as an "M" car - so there you have it.
A few of the M5 crowd here (tfung, Bostonrocket, SouthshoreM5 and others) have seen both of my 850CSi cars and they might chime in with their impressions (I am biased, of course).
Bottom line with these cars: have it checked out professionally as with any other high-end car. The only sticking point for me looking at the photos are that the wheels are on the wrong sides of the car (thin part of the turbine should be forward as they direct cooling air over the brakes). Other than that, look at the attached URL and email me if you have any questions.
Good luck,
Paul
Link for 8 series site
Technical 8 series site

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, 38k seems very high, but 850CSis are very rare. What would I reccomend?

find a regular 850 and test drive it. Then test drive the 850Csi. Does the Csi feel like its worth the extra, say, 10 grand?

A 6-speed Csi is ultra-rare, and is priced accordingly so. Im sure you would enjoy a regular 850, but does the Csi seem worth it. its really a question only you can answer.

Regardless, the 850 is a great grand tourer with lots of power and comfort.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The current issue of the Roundell has an article on the 850CSI. That is the equivalent of an M8. The car was initially introduced as an 850i. It was penned by the auto press, and BMW bored out the engine, lowered it, put a lot of goodies in and turned that into the 850 CSI. There's a lot of advanced technology in the car, and is a rare beast. Especially rare if it's a 6 speed.

While I love the 8 series, I'm still a sucker for the M6s.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Beautiful car though. Enjoy.

CP

·
Registered
329 Posts
I thought the CSi should have the "M" side mirrors...not the standard 840/850 mirrors featured on the pics. Double check this, I'm pretty sure about it.
And the exhaust tips? are those original Csi?

brgds, marcelo

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi Marcelo,
US spec 850CSi had the square side view mirrors, so yes, those are correct as are the exhaust tips.
VIN for 850CSi should always begin WBSEG. If not, then it is not an 850CSi.
Finally, 38k for the car you describe, if in excellent condition, is actually a very good price - remember, only 224 850CSi were ever imported into the USA.
Paul

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I, too, have lusted for this one!

chunpng said:
Especially rare if it's a 6 speed.
Guys, ALL 850CSi's are six-speed!

I used to follow CSi's for sale in AutoWeek. When I did it regularly, they tracked from mid-70s to 69K or so. I don't recall exactly how long ago that was, but $38K seems like a decent price for such a phenomenal machine, if it checks out.

ANY 8er is a rare sight to see, but a 850CSi is the cat's *ss! Sure, it's more of a Grand Touring machine than a true schportzcar, but what a GT you'd have!!

Let us know what you find out! Someone here may jump on it if you don't....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts