BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not an M5 - but still pretty fast. I absolutely murdered a friends E60 M5 with an exhaust and tune on the freeway from say 60 to I won't say :) It wasn't even close. Had some stuff come up that made me really wish I could have re-allocated these funds elsewhere but it was about 90% done and it was all non-refundable stuff so I saw it through.

I had this thread over on another forum but I don't want to link to another site (I know that's bad etiquette).

So this has been in-progress for some time. A few years ago, I sold a 2010 535i M-Sport 6MT and regretted selling it pretty much immediately. So a while back, I began the hunt for a another unicorn. Want an auto? No issue. AWD? No problem. RWD 6MT - Good luck! Add in M-Sport and it's even worse. All the work has been done by my friends Richard and Tyler at Dirty Euro Customs in SLC. They do amazing work and I love to keep them busy.

I actually ended up buying two 535i's - both white.

The first one (the one I ended up keeping) was a 2008 from MN and was a 6MT, but not factory M-Sport. Had a really awful M5 clone front bumper on it, and believe it or not, a piece of shower molding for the rear spoiler. Unbelievably, that last part was not immediately obvious. Someone had spent way more time than money saved to make that work. I don't think the seller was being inherently dishonest, but the car was a lot more rough than I'd hoped. Bad paint on the front and rear bumpers, tons of rock chips and general paint wear. Horrible aftermarket bumper. Headlights were in bad shape. Lots of wear. And it was from MN - a little worried about winter conditions.

The second one was a 2010 from an auction in Vegas. It was a pretty low miles (86k) white 6MT M-Sport - but it was an auto. Should have been in perfect shape at that mileage but it was ridden hard and put away wet. And, after doing some more research, I decided I didn't want to do the auto-6MT swap. So, I sold that one to a friend for a steal and ate my loss.

So, decision made, I decided I was going to go all out with a stock motor. My other passion is E39 M5's. So pretty much everything on this car seemed very reasonably priced :) It was a novel experience that I could still buy new OEM parts (try finding an S62 oil pump). So we immediately ordered everything to make the car "new". Total suspension refresh, all bushings, ball joints, belts, hoses, gaskets.

Pure Stage 2 DD turbo's
Spec Twin Disc Clutch
VRSF DP's
Precision Raceworks Coil Packs
BMS TMAP, PVC Upgrade, and Meth Kit (minus tank)
ECS Tuning Catch Can
UUC Short Shifter / Turner Shift Bushings
Custom rear diff from Jim Blanton at Performance Gearing (stock ratio but variable ramp LSD)
Every bushing, mount, belt, pulley, tensioner, seal, or hose we could think of
All new cooling system (kept it stock)
Koni FSR Shocks with H&R Springs
PSP Intercooler and Oil Cooler
Custom chargepipe (Thanks Richard!) and Synapse BOV
Fuel-it Stage 2 pump
19" Forgestar F14's in Bronze Burst
Complete brake setup from an E60 M5 - with new OEM rotors and Hawk HPS Pads
Individual Pentan Carbon Aluminum Trim (this was a rare find!)
Complete CIC retrofit kit (since this was a 2008 it had the old school CCC) - now I wish I had gone full NBT!
Custom Steering Wheel from a great guy (https://www.instagram.com/azaautowheel). Have on in one of my E39's, and an E30 - all three great.

Also got kind of a wild hare and decided to upgrade the stereo. Don at Unexpected Creations was an amazing resource. I got a full Helix setup from him P SIX DSK MK2, SDMI25, and an M ONE for the sub. Got a Jehnert Flatline 9-15100 kit for the front speakers, and an Audiomobile GT2 2010 for the sub-woofer (running infinite baffle in the rear deck). We just left the rear speakers disconnected and ran individual channels to the 6 front speakers. This is all installed, but not tuned, or even turned on yet - lots of configuration to make sure I don't make a speaker go boom in a bad way.

I should have taken a lot more "before" pictures, but here it is right out of paint with a refinish of the headlights and a full clear bra. We got all new OEM M-Sport front and rear bumpers and all needed brackets, etc etc. I think the only thing I'm missing is the M-Sport door sill plates. The car has the sport steering and suspension so it has active sway bars for good or ill (they don't leak currently).

Here is the interior trim and the steering wheel - I'll get a picture of it installed (added steering wheel picture):

Here is the engine and tranny while out of the car after all the good stuff:

Custom meth tank:

Brake setup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Sub, Amps, MOST box on the rear deck:

De-badged and got the rear diffuser painted in a satin black. Rick had to do quite a bit of heat gun and molding around the tips - but I think it turned out amazing. He did the whole exhaust from essentially scratch and did a lot of great heat shield work with some E36 stuff he had laying around.

Sounds great as well. It's been MHD tuned and jb4 mapped. Haven't had a chance to dyno it - but man is it fast. It's almost under-whelming in that it's so civilized about it. You really don't realize that you've gone from 0 to felony so quickly. Super quiet and smooth. I'll get some dyno-graphs when I get a chance to get a few pulls. Tune was just done with some drives and data logging.

Waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can go trade rick my E39 M5 for it's "phase 2" upgrades and drive this one around for a bit!

I've been driving it around to break in the clutch. I've only done a full pulls in the methanol map and it's a bit too much torque for the cold tires. Love how fast those turbos spool. I bought dual exhaust rear splitter from Umnizta and they were great. I would have purchased their dual exhaust setup but they were sold out and it was going to be a bit before they had anymore. More to come!

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's the N54 no? I know from the E9x M3 / 3 series world it takes very little money to make big power. There's a dyno queen at my new shop running a super single throwing down 900 at the wheels. I'd like to joke about how much he's spent on it, but honestly I'm probably getting close to the same amount refreshing/maintaining my M5...

As an aside, I'm looking at getting all the rock chips resprayed and clear bra-ing the front of the car and spots behind the tires. Not to concours spec but to look nice at 5ft. If you don't mind me asking, what was the damage on getting that taken care of?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the N54 no? I know from the E9x M3 / 3 series world it takes very little money to make big power. There's a dyno queen at my new shop running a super single throwing down 900 at the wheels. I'd like to joke about how much he's spent on it, but honestly I'm probably getting close to the same amount refreshing/maintaining my M5...
The first 535i I sold because maintenance was getting "expensive" - and then I got an E39 M5 and promptly blew the motor up. So my price expectations have been re-framed as they say in business. The most expensive part on this thing seems like a deal compared to almost anything for my M5's.

As an aside, I'm looking at getting all the rock chips resprayed and clear bra-ing the front of the car and spots behind the tires. Not to concours spec but to look nice at 5ft. If you don't mind me asking, what was the damage on getting that taken care of?
That's a great idea - I just had this done to my 03 LMB E39 M5 and it looks brand new. I had the a few other blemishes re-sprayed and the entire thing clear-bra'd - it was around 4k. This was at the local body shop all the exotics use. I wanted the work to be perfect, not insurance job grade.

This car (535i) certainly went way over any budget I might have had in my head when I started, but that's mostly my fault and job scope creep. It was around 8k in body work. But that included all the brand new m-sport front/rear bumpers and all the needed hardware (mounts, braces, supports, fog lights etc). The headlights were refinished and clear-bra'd as well. As mentioned in my post, the car was a bit more rough than I was hoping cosmetically.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts