BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Stevie said:
Uber Barge!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice spin though!!!!!

BTW, what EDC setting were you using? I'm amazed by the amount of body-roll........
SPIN
- that was a pirouette

If you thought that was a lot of body roll, you should see the pictures when the EDC is on 'P' :confused3

The front suspension is only about a year old, the backs are ancient and are on my ever-growing list of to-do items.

I've only just got a set of track wheels & tyres after saying I was getting them about 4 years ago!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
SPIN
- that was a pirouette

If you thought that was a lot of body roll, you should see the pictures when the EDC is on 'P' :confused3

The front suspension is only about a year old, the backs are ancient and are on my ever-growing list of to-do items.

I've only just got a set of track wheels & tyres after saying I was getting them about 4 years ago!
This may be kicking a holy shin, but if you use the car on track often enough to have a set of track wheels, why not upgrade the suspension a little? Cheaper then replacing EDC, and perhaps a little easier on the car........

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
True, but I would have to have some seriously heavy duty adjustable suspension to take the weight of the car. As the fronts have not long been replaced it seems daft to rip it out to put in new suspension.

If the cost of the fronts had been to me rather than the insurance company then I would have put different suspension on all round.

Also, each time I use the track wheels & tyres I am saving £300 of road tyres - no such obvious saving on the £2k cost of replacing the suspension.

I don't do more than 6 track days a year, so the suspension would have to be comfortable enough to cope with the 30,000 miles of driving I do normally as well.

I went down the modification route with my old Corrado VR6 and ended up missing the softer ride when not on track, and eventually got rid in favour of the M5.

This is how flat my VR6 used to be...

...and that's an 80mph 120 degree corner!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I know the feeling. And also know your website as one of the few that has a VR6-powered car modified in GOOD taste.......... My compliments!!!

As far as comfort goes, the weight is an advantage there, simply because it will take some VERY stiff springs and shocks before it becomes uncomfortable. At the moment my 540i is at the very edge of getting too stiff, but I need to replace the front upper strut mounts, since I think they are transmitting a little more thumps than they should.... The weight on the reg. documents is 1580kg, while 3.6's like Raymond W's are listed at 1670kg????? You can't tell me the V8 is THAT much lighter.......

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
On track my 1994 3.8 6-speed M5 is (1725kg + 120kg for me + 80kg for my passenger + whatever 90L of Optimax weighs.

I'm guessing a total weight of around 2000kg!

The early 540 weighs 1650kg and the later 4.4 v8 weighs about the same!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Nice VR!!!! Just watch that Sump Plug!!!! hehe...

I only use my car weekend blats so Iam thinking about upgrading the suspension! Shame ACS don't do the kit anymore!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Thanks - it had Schrick cams, big-valve head, Schrick VGI, custom VGI controller, and was putting out 230bhp and 245lb/ft - worried 911's on track and could outbrake most things with it's 330mm AP brakes.

http://www.mmm-five.net/Corrado/corrado.html

I know Kormann BMW in the US does some suspension upgrades, and I am sure you will find someone in the motherland who does as well.

Mine might just need the rears doing as they are 10 years and nearly 150k miles old!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts