BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Some of you might have seen my thread on the F10 forum about the F10 528i with N52. Lovely.. at least on paper.
But my experience of the N52 on a e90 330i was not quite as good. It's high revving, but lacks the savageness per se.
I bought the 528i on carvana recently and I am waiting for its delivery. Which was delayed (yeah I don't recommend using them)
And most likely, the car won't be in a very good shape as it was under the dealer inventory of Hyundai of somewhere.
Don't get me wrong. Modern Hyundai cars are quite nice. I would have bought them if the dealers were a bit more... you know..

What better suits my interest is a facelift E39 530i with M54; also an I6 NA.
While I tried looking on various places. There is are no GOOD examples of a crappy old BMW 530i.
Only good examples were extremely overpriced. Like seriously. It was more expensive than an E39 M5.

I've never had a non-M BMW experience over here in the US. Where would be a good place to find a decent E39 530i in the states? Preferably manual, but the 5HP19 isn't too bad as well.

Cheers,
Gabe

p.s. I DID NOT sell my M5.
Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

It's ALIVE!. Finally in a temperature/moisture controlled garage that it will be all happy. It needs a new bumper though. Drove it around too much. LOL

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5
24 Posts
I've never had a non-M BMW experience over here in the US. Where would be a good place to find a decent E39 530i in the states? Preferably manual, but the 5HP19 isn't too bad as well.
Start in SoCal. I used to be a mechanic in San Diego and most of the older BMWs that came in were always in exceptional condition. Typically high mileage but usually better maintained than most of the newer cars that came in for repairs. But of course just always be browsing. You never know what gem can become available out of nowhere. I wasn’t in the game for an X5 when I bought mine but I came across a 1 owner low-mile e53 4.6is for $3k and didn’t hesitate. I drive it every day

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start in SoCal. I used to be a mechanic in San Diego and most of the older BMWs that came in were always in exceptional condition. Typically high mileage but usually better maintained than most of the newer cars that came in for repairs. But of course just always be browsing. You never know what gem can become available out of nowhere. I wasn’t in the game for an X5 when I bought mine but I came across a 1 owner low-mile e53 4.6is for $3k and didn’t hesitate. I drive it every day
Wow 3K! That's a great deal. I used to have a 4.4 which I did use as a DD until the brake hose crapped out at 60mph on the interstate. (Oh. I did have a non-M experience lol)
Could you please inform me of where you were looking? Forums? Craigslist? Cars.com?

Best,
Gabe

·
Registered
2001 BMW M5
24 Posts
Wow 3K! That's a great deal. I used to have a 4.4 which I did use as a DD until the brake hose crapped out at 60mph on the interstate. (Oh. I did have a non-M experience lol)
Could you please inform me of where you were looking? Forums? Craigslist? Cars.com?

Best,
Gabe
Facebook Marketplace has been on fire for me for the last 2 years! It’s where I’ve found almost everything from my e53, my e39 m5, parts wheels etc… The search becomes intuitive so it learns what you may be interested in, relating to your searches, saved/liked items etc. The alerts are great as well. I have a better chance of finding great deals near me if I’m notified, rather than searching on my own and potentially losing out to someone who got to it first.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Facebook Marketplace has been on fire for me for the last 2 years! It’s where I’ve found almost everything from my e53, my e39 m5, parts wheels etc… The search becomes intuitive so it learns what you may be interested in, relating to your searches, saved/liked items etc. The alerts are great as well. I have a better chance of finding great deals near me if I’m notified, rather than searching on my own and potentially losing out to someone who got to it first.
So I have just set a reminder for "530i manual".

We will see how this turns out...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'd buy that one immediately. I actually did not think they made an E39 528i in manual tranny.. perhaps it was only for the 1999 model year???

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd buy that one immediately. I actually did not think they made an E39 528i in manual tranny.. perhaps it was only for the 1999 model year???
Yeah. It's really hard to come across manual E39s in the US :(
Manual swaps are notoriously expensive over here as well.

Tempted...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
It doesn't surprise me that 530i's are commading M5 like money-- in some ways it's a better driving experience than the M5. 500+ lbs lighter, rack and pinion steering... plus a full size spare, and it's easier to work on.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Yeah. It's really hard to come across manual E39s in the US :(
Manual swaps are notoriously expensive over here as well.

Tempted...
Dirty yourself at a junk yard. I pulled all the parts needed to swap my 530i to manual for <$200 at my local U Pull It.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dirty yourself at a junk yard. I pulled all the parts needed to swap my 530i to manual for <$200 at my local U Pull It.
Ah if I just had all the guts to do that.
I can do some easy engine repairs, but converting an automatic to manual seems to be way beyond my limits.

Agreed on 530i being the better E39. It was just better built and the design was for the 6cyl models anyway. We basically dumped a huge V8 that messed up the original design.
I had a chance to drive a manual stock 530 with m-sport package / euro spec. It was lovely.
M54 was a lovely engine...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts