BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many oil threads so this is not a debate but I am just curious of any ones thoughts on using this:

Amazon.com: Royal Purple 01530 API-Licensed SAE 5W-30 High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle: Automotive.

I cannot seem to find a definitive answer on whether we can use it safely. It is five gallons of oil. I have used Royal Purple from Autozone because I had no TWS or BMW oil at the time. The nearest dealer is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours away. The car seems to run the same as with the recommended 5W30. Can I use this or not?

Thanks guys and gals.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
I know there are many oil threads so this is not a debate but I am just curious of any ones thoughts on using this:

Amazon.com: Royal Purple 01530 API-Licensed SAE 5W-30 High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle: Automotive.

I cannot seem to find a definitive answer on whether we can use it safely. It is five gallons of oil. I have used Royal Purple from Autozone because I had no TWS or BMW oil at the time. The nearest dealer is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours away. The car seems to run the same as with the recommended 5W30. Can I use this or not?

Thanks guys and gals.
I remember when I made that post and was shocked at the jokes... so ... 3...2...1...

OIL THREAD GO!!

Reactions: Nvable

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
you can also order Liquid Moly in your desired weight 5W30 or 10W60 - I run the latter personally - from sources such as Bavarian Auto on-line.

Given the M5 takes 6.5-7 liters, I would not run 5 quarts in this motor personally, if that is what you are suggesting! :Thumbdown:

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Just as an FYI, this is an oil thread. Stating it's not an oil thread and then asking if a particular oil is useable does not make it anything other than an oil thread. With that said, run the 5w-30. Nothing will happen except that you may feel some residual shame for buying oil at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bad, I stand corrected. I just thought that it was not bad for 5 gallons of the oil. AS I mentioned the BMW dealer is not that close and when I need a top off I don't have the time to get out either the one in Albany, GA or Jacksonville, FL.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The fact that you do not have 2.5 hours blocked off on any given day to drive to a dealership to buy oil shows your lack of foresight...maybe the M5 isn't the right car for you.

:hihi:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Napa Stores actually carry liqui moly oil. Inquire at napa store to carry 10w60 few weeks before you need them. I usually get my oil either from Napa or FCP euro. I actually talked to a friend at FCP, they fixed the price of liqui moly 10w60 to match BavAuto.

Reactions: Nvable

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I have been ok on having oil on hand. I just picked some up when I happened to be in the area when driving through the area from one work place to another. I just used my last quart yesterday. I guess I just opened pandoras box here. :M5launch:

I will check Napa, they do tend to have the stuff that not really found at the other parts stores.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The fact that you do not have 2.5 hours blocked off on any given day to drive to a dealership to buy oil shows your lack of foresight...maybe the M5 isn't the right car for you.

:hihi:
When was back in Cali I did not have this worry, but being out in the sticks kinda sucks. Granted Valdosta is a pretty major stop on the way to Florida they do not have a BMW shop out here that I can find.

I appreciate everyones comments, and Threepedals has me laughing my butt off and my wife asks me why I am laughing. She doesn't get it. :cheers:

Reactions: threepedals

·
Registered
359 Posts
Wal-mart has oil. As do most auto parts stores. Amazon has a good selection too. No need to take a trip to dealership for oil.

The best deal I have found is Mobil1 0W-40 at Wal-mart for $22.66 for 5 quarts ($4.54/ quart + tax). Royal Purple for $7.08 a quart would be a no go for me.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

·
Registered
6,200 Posts

Thanks guys and gals.
Sweeeet! It's prime!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts