BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I'm new here, so I hope that I'm posting in the tight part of the forum!

I have a BMW 540iA Touring, and I'm thinking of putting in some NOS in it.
But I have a few questions.
The car is today totally original.

Is it possible to go with 75-100 hp nossles and still keep the motor "safe"?

Should I do any extra service, or is it just to do the regular service at BMW as usual?

Will the Automatic transmission be able to hold together? (I've heard that its ok up to 400 hp, but with the nos all the power comes at ones, this will cause some more stress on the gearbox, wont it?)

Is there anything else that I should do to the ECU or somethng else?

/Jocce

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jocce said:
Hello!
I'm new here, so I hope that I'm posting in the tight part of the forum!

I have a BMW 540iA Touring, and I'm thinking of putting in some NOS in it.
But I have a few questions.
The car is today totally original.

Is it possible to go with 75-100 hp nossles and still keep the motor "safe"?

Should I do any extra service, or is it just to do the regular service at BMW as usual?

Will the Automatic transmission be able to hold together? (I've heard that its ok up to 400 hp, but with the nos all the power comes at ones, this will cause some more stress on the gearbox, wont it?)

Is there anything else that I should do to the ECU or somethng else?

/Jocce
Hello & greetings from the land of OZ. Saw your thread and thought i'd let you know that I fitted a 125 hp zex kit to my E39 2000 540 M Sport. It went great, however at 125 hp you only get approx 120 seconds of fun per 10lb bottle @ $100 per refill. Belive me as an electroncs technician I enjoyed the challenge of intergrating the anolouge voltage controlled zex kit to my PCM thinking Beemer however the zex kit controller failed twice due to excessive heat under the bonnet with only three tanks in all used. Hardly worth the effort, however I have developed a controller that will interface into the 540's ECU that can be used to fire any Nos controller. If you want it give me a yell and I'll work out a price however my advice is don't bother unless you live in a very cold climate and have access to cheap Nos. The results for the 1/4 mile saw me averaging low 13's seconds with a best time of 12.8. Dyno results confirmed 330 rear wheel HP.

All the best

Chunky :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
What type of kit? Wet or dry and where did you inject the nitrous?
I have heard of these dry MAF type kits that are effective on LS1 Camaros.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Greetings, mine was a wet kit and injection was at approx 300 mm upstream of the throttle body. I have now removed the kit and retired it to the "garage shelf of past glory"

Cheers

Chunky

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
NX has a wet kit that they claim will work with the M5. However, for the M5 and 540, fuel was not intended to be run through that part of the intake tract including plenum. The problem would seem to be that fuel is not a gas and could puddle and provide uneven mixture flow to all cylinders. Any feedback?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts