BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering where a good independent shop in Norther Illinois would be, I live in the Kenosha area, and need to find a good indy to get my thermostat replaced, I know there are a few I just need some opinions. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Ted @ ROMtech Imports.. Hwy 41 in Lake Bluff. About a 30 min drive for you. 847-473-5007. Tell him Dave sent you. ;)

Dave

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for that Dave. It's always nice to have other options.

I use RJB Automotive in Lindenhurst, IL for indy stuff. It's on 45 just north of Grand Ave (132). They are quick and thorough and have really good rates. I have trusted them with my Porsches, Bmws and even my Toyotas! :) 847-356-0755.

Eric

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Thanks for that Dave. It's always nice to have other options.

I use RJB Automotive in Lindenhurst, IL for indy stuff. It's on 45 just north of Grand Ave (132). They are quick and thorough and have really good rates. I have trusted them with my Porsches, Bmws and even my Toyotas! :) 847-356-0755.

Eric
Thanks. Also good to know!

I now use Ted for all my bimmer needs (one 540i and two M5s).. both routine stuff that I don't have time to get to, and very one-off stuff for El Diablo. Ted loves M5's in particular, and has worked on numerous Chicago M5board member's cars. I think his rate is $90/hr, but he is a bulldog and gets the job done quickly. I've been very happy with my labor charges.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just talked to Ted about some work and he is a very knowledgeable guy, thanks for the info, Dave. I am going to have him do my SSK and WSR next week some time. Thanks again!

Eric

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
If you see a Royal Red beast in his shop, that would be mine. I did a car swap with my 540 beater (he did some work on that) a couple months ago and it's been sitting there ever since...sheltered from the crappy weather and moon craters. :p

D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do it yourself! You can do it in less time than it will take you to drive there and back. You will feel empowered as well. I understand that some don't have the time or they feel they are not competant, but this is an easy one. Read a little and then go for it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement but like the common excuses you listed, I fit both and then some. Plus, as much as I would like to say that I am interested in doing it myself, I am just not. I have reached the age/income/laziness to hand things off to the pros when I know a better job can be done by someone other than myself.

Thanks much though, my 10 thumbs thank you :).

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I had my car to Ted for some parts swapping with another board member (front sway since they are such a pain).

He was very accomodating since he knew I drove over an hour to be there.

There were 5 other M5's in his lot when I was there.

Bob

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement but like the common excuses you listed, I fit both and then some. Plus, as much as I would like to say that I am interested in doing it myself, I am just not. I have reached the age/income/laziness to hand things off to the pros when I know a better job can be done by someone other than myself.

Thanks much though, my 10 thumbs thank you :).
Hey you know what? I forget that some folks have a different idea of "fun" and I'm sorry I forget we are all made differently. I can think of nothing less fun, for example, than going to a play or to any cultural event for that matter. But, that's me and yes I admit I enjoy working on my vehicles and it really has nothing to do with saving money or time! If I didn't have a pot full of money invested in tools and the interest, I think I'd want someone else to do it too! I go to the M5 net and I see folks talking about spending $900 for angel eyes when Mike and I did our E39s for $29 plus shipping and you can't tell the difference. I'm imposing my own feelings over theirs..I just think a lot of people would like to do angel eyes for say $50, but they don't know where to start. I was there 2 months ago! I often think we should do a thread every week called angel eyes for dummies or thermostats for dummies or whatever. Just take those who don't know and don't want to ask through it step by step. Not just how to install, but where to get, what's the difference, etc.

:cheers: G/L on getting your car done! And "dummies" is a piss poor choice of words. No one fell out of the womb knowing a damn thing about nuttin'!
BMWs especially.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts