BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of diagnosing a misfire issue.(don't have a code reader yet, and swapped out a coil pack in cylinder number 8 with a new one. I pulled out the sparkplug, only to discover that it had an NGK sparkplug, leading me to believe it/they was/were changed before, but I'm not sure when. The car only has 40k miles.

Is this normal wear? Next to be replaced is the ionic sensor, which I've narrowed it down to, unless the spark plug isn't working. Computer and OBD cable are on the way soon. Waiting for the car to cool off but am going to check cylinder number 6. Does anyone have any insight as to if this looks normal? Thanks!

Ian

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I use this as my guide.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use this as my guide.

Thanks, I'm saving that. Does this look normal though compared to yours or others' S85 sparkplugs you've seen? I know how complicated these motors are!

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Thanks, I'm saving that. Does this look normal though compared to yours or others' S85 sparkplugs you've seen? I know how complicated these motors are!
Looks in the normal range.

Reactions: The Engineer

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot!

T

·
0 Posts
I would put a different plug and coil pack on that cylinder and see what happens. Swap ionic module from bank 1 to bank 2 and see if the error follows.

Most likely a bad coil pack

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
689 Posts
In the process of diagnosing a misfire issue.(don't have a code reader yet, and swapped out a coil pack in cylinder number 8 with a new one. I pulled out the sparkplug, only to discover that it had an NGK sparkplug, leading me to believe it/they was/were changed before, but I'm not sure when. The car only has 40k miles.

Is this normal wear? Next to be replaced is the ionic sensor, which I've narrowed it down to, unless the spark plug isn't working. Computer and OBD cable are on the way soon. Waiting for the car to cool off but am going to check cylinder number 6. Does anyone have any insight as to if this looks normal? Thanks!

Ian
That looks completely normal and the wear isn't bad at all. If all of the plugs look like that, they probably could have gone at least another 20k without any issues or drop off in performance. NGK are the standard plugs, so those were likely the originals.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Mine also looked like that when they were changed at 70k.
Same here, but my plugs weren't quite so blurry. :biggrinbounce: Not sure if my plugs got changed before I did them at 76k miles but there were no BMW markings on the plugs, so I'm guessing they were done under maintenance.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would put a different plug and coil pack on that cylinder and see what happens. Swap ionic module from bank 1 to bank 2 and see if the error follows.

Most likely a bad coil pack

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks! I'm positive it's the sensor. Waiting on a new one to get to my house. B767captain tipped me off to the possibility of it. Surprised they go out so much!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The stock plugs are NGK and run about $11 on Amazon. I think they're like $70 at the stealer. Same exact plug. There is only one spark plug that I know of for this engine. There is also a coil pulling tool available as well since these coils are rather fragile.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The stock plugs are NGK and run about $11 on Amazon. I think they're like $70 at the stealer. Same exact plug. There is only one spark plug that I know of for this engine. There is also a coil pulling tool available as well since these coils are rather fragile.
Of course they would be. Dude, people think prices are bad from the stealership, but they should come to the hawaii BMW dealership. They charge about 30% over what your average dealership does for everything, because they can. Indy shops are thriving here. And they've become stealership a too!

As for removing coil, I flip up that little bracket with the circular hole in the middle, wrap a screwdriver with a microfiber towel and then place it through the center and pull up. Do you know where I can find the tool, though? Thanks!

·
Registered
793 Posts
My local dealer was $29 PER PLUG! I found all 10 NGK online for $88.

I have been unable to find a good tool to pull the back 2 coils, most of the tools online will not fit back there. I used a shop towel, socket extension and my forearm to pull the back 2 out.

·
Registered
632 Posts
My local dealer was $29 PER PLUG! I found all 10 NGK online for $88.

I have been unable to find a good tool to pull the back 2 coils, most of the tools online will not fit back there. I used a shop towel, socket extension and my forearm to pull the back 2 out.
Where did you find the plugs for $88? I haven't seen less than $10.50 on Amazon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts