BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an 02 CPO sterling grey--55,000 miles--pick one below--thank you

What is the normal operating--(not autocross) oil temp you should see on the tach gauge??--just a tick or two to the left of the 210 mark?--at about 11 versus 12 so to speak??--

Same question re engine temp gauge--it seems to stay just to the left of the straight up position?

What is the recommended tire pressure (not autocross but spirited driving on wine country roads--twisties)-- for the Michelin Pilots--I thought 38-40psi would work--but now I have softened worn off the shoulders of the front tires-- so I suspect I have already run the car maybe a little too hard--is 35 correct??

Does anyone know what a "howl" from steering columm or area sound might be--when in sport mode--that only happens after a while-engine warm--on right turns only---I have had my steering pump replaced under warranty--I will take car into dealer--but wondered if anyone has run into that symptom before?

Lastly--if you have to park it outside and leave alarm on all night every day--should I routinely run the slow trickle BMW charger say once a week--car is driven mostly daily driver--but some days it will sit for 3-4 days at a time (backup 911 for business use at times)--am I running risk of running battery down unless I do?

·
Registered
156 Posts
MarinM5,
Just one person's set of observations - and mine's a different year as well.

Oil temps - normal is around 210 for me - only time it's been higher is at a driver's school/track run. Normal coolant temp is about where you've indicated for me as well.

Tire pressures - they're all over the map here. The tire pressure placard for the MY00 sez 44/48 front/rear - which is too hard for my taste, and doesn't give enough grip. My preference is 40/38, but tire pressures have been extensively discussed on the board; my recommendation is experiment and find out what gives you the best control - the tires don't last long anyway.

Steering wheel howl - can't help you here. :confused3

Alarm and battery life - without the alarm set, but in the garage, in the winter, my M5 will go about two weeks without recharging. In sunny CA, even if the alarm is set, IMHO the battery will do fine if you just drive it once a week (long enough to get a good charge). If it's longer than that, the trickle charge may be needed.

Congratulations on buying the best performing (and looking!!) 4 door sedan made!! :cheers: :noSMG: :M5launch:

·
10,455 Posts
My oil and coolant temps act the same as yours. They'll likely hover around 210 and 12 o clock in the summer. I asked the same question when I bought my cpo m5 about 18 mos ago.

You should try the search feature, really handy for stuff like this.
Congrats on the car... they're amazing.
Mike

·
Registered
590 Posts
MarinM5 said:
Just purchased an 02 CPO sterling grey--55,000 miles--pick one below--thank you

What is the normal operating--(not autocross) oil temp you should see on the tach gauge??--just a tick or two to the left of the 210 mark?--at about 11 versus 12 so to speak??--

Same question re engine temp gauge--it seems to stay just to the left of the straight up position?
MarinM5,

Good luck with you new purchase. Awesome car. I've had my 00 for a short time and I still can't wipe the smile from my face. :hihi:

My oil and water temp run about the same as yours, so I would consider that normal operation.

Joe

·
Registered
694 Posts
Could you help me? I can't quite see the Pictures :haha2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts