BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings CA folks. I'm looking to add a tune to the E39 soon and even though it's a simple plug & play install, I'd love to get on a dyno at the time of install to be able to make fine adjustments to the tune.

I saw some older posts in this folder about a couple places, Newtech Performance and EQ Tuning, but I was hoping for something more current (maybe those are still the best shops in town?).

Any recommendations are welcome. I'm coming from southern Oregon, so the more north the better. North Bay, Sacramento, Redding...?? But Since I'm driving 5 hrs anyway, another hour to get down to south bay isn't a big deal either :)

Edit: Must be DYNOJET dyno.

Thanks!!

Nathan

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Some recommendations through facebook so far include:

Dynospot Service and Repair
1798 Angela St
San Jose, CA 95125
(408) 271-9800
http://www.dynospotracing.com/

But their website doesn't work and neither does their phone number... Yelp has a review of them from as recent as 2 months ago, so maybe they're just on vacation.

Dietsch Werks
521 Charcot Ave suite #251
San Jose, CA 95131
707-446-2022
lotus repair san jose

This DW shop sounds legit, they list another location in Vacaville on their website but not sure if they dyno there.

034Motorsport
42968 Osgood Road
Fremont, CA 94539
877-591-9571
http://store.034motorsport.com/

Any other suggestions??

Edit: added 034Motorsport

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
There are others I know of, but I wouldn't recommend them...hence I haven't really spoken up...sorry

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait wait.... Thunderhill has a dyno?? You mean I could do some track time, take an hour to flash the tune, then get back on the track in the afternoon?? That sounds perfect! Who do I talk to about setting that up?

PS - I appreciate you not recommending places you dislike btw. :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Wait wait.... Thunderhill has a dyno?? You mean I could do some track time, take an hour to flash the tune, then get back on the track in the afternoon?? That sounds perfect! Who do I talk to about setting that up?

PS - I appreciate you not recommending places you dislike btw. :)
Thunderhill does have a Dynojet. Not sure whom to contact to regarding if you can use it for fine tuning and remote access (there is wifi at Thunderhill and I think it may extend out to the Dynojet garage), but I think I think a good place to start is here:

http://thunderhill.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Contact

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be flashing my beast with a jailbreak tune and sending the dyno files down to San Diego for remote tweaking. The folks at JB recommended a dynojet as it's easier to open/adjust the data files on their side. They'll send back their tweaks, I'll reflash, and then do more runs to confirm the improvements. Ideally, I'd be down in San Diego to do it in person, but that's farther than I want to drive for a tune... :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adding another dynojet to the list... it's ON SITE at Thunderhill!

MCE Racing
5250 State Hwy 162
Thunderhill Raceway Park
Garage 15
Willows, CA 95988
(530) 934-3237
mcedyno.com

I'm hoping to try them out on Sunday 2/15, the day before my highly anticipated first day at Thunderhill on 2/16! :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soooo... I got the Monday after ECFest off of work and I'm thinking of sticking around in NorCal to run the beast on one of the NorCal dynos. My brother lives in Walnut Creek where I'd likely stay Sunday night... I see 034 Motorsport is only 30 mins away from there. Does anyone have any experience with that shop? Would you recommend them? Any other places near/around east bay I should use instead??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Nathan - 034 is one of the spots my indy recommends for dyno tuning, fwiw. I've never been there though, so YMMV. Maybe post in the DC group?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well drat, cross 034 Motorsports off the list! They say their dyno is "all wheel drive with front wheel drive bias"... Not sure what that means exactly but they said they can't run rear wheel drive cars with 300+ torque! Something about the way the brake on the drum works? This is new to me, but that's the official word from their tech manager. Sad times.

Guess I'll try the San Jose shops next!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Well, that sucks. I know Borelli (North SJC) has one, but I'm told it's currently 'broken'. I lent my cable to a guy that was supposed to get tuned there remotely with JB, and he's still waiting... they're an option though if they get it fixed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another strike out! It seems the Dietsch Werks shop mentioned above recently moved from their former San Jose location to a new shop in Vacaville. The new place currently has NO DYNO. They're hoping to have something setup in a few months....

Dietsch Motorsports
1051 Aldridge Rd, Suite H
Vacaville, CA 95688
707-446-2022

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Dynospot is AWOL... their website is gone and their phone number is disconnected.

Borelli is still in business, they have a dyno and it's now working again, but due to the lengthy downtime required for the fix, they aren't making new dyno appointments for at least 2 weeks! Shucks.

Borelli Motor Sports
521 Charcot Avenue, Suite 211
San Jose, CA 95131
(408)-770-1220
http://borellimotorsports.com/

Looks like I'm 0 / 4 for bay area dynos... What's up with that?? LOL

Anyone know of any other dynos I could try in the bay area?? I'd love to run it while I'm down there for ECFest.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
A few more DynoJet options in the San Jose area (note: never used any of them personally, YMMV...)

TPS Motorsports
Z-Car Garage
The Mustang Ranch (dyno with a happy ending?)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tony's mechanic likes Synergy. I booked a spot for Friday afternoon. Should have fresh numbers just in time for ECFest! :)

Synergy Auto Works
145 Keyes St
San Jose, CA 95112
408-885-9988

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Btw, Synergy is run by the former Dynospot crew. That shop closed its doors last year and reopened at a lower rent location. They do mostly Japanese imports now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts