BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I'm new to the board. I'm looking to replace my car with a 01-03 M5 sometime next year. I've just started to learn about these cars a bit. Any pointers on what to look for. I'm just getting out of an 03 Cobra, what I like to call my "Miami Vice Mustang".

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The best first question to ask is "Is it possible to see the service records for the car?" This is very important with these cars...

Welcome!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, clutch is a big one as it's a supposed weak point on our cars.

I'd wonder if MAFs, O2 sensors, etc have even been looked into as that will show the previous owner's knowledge of the car and what could need to be replaced.

Maybe see if there are any codes stored in the ECU if possible?

Finally, I'd check the condition of the spare tire. ;)

EDIT: I'd also see if the car has been tracked. When I asked the guy I bought mine from if it had been tracked, he responded with "Huh?" - so I liked that response. He further added, "I take it out on nice weekends for cruises in the countryside." - Perfect answer. I'll take it.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
EDIT: I'd also see if the car has been tracked. When I asked the guy I bought mine from if it had been tracked, he responded with "Huh?" - so I liked that response. He further added, "I take it out on nice weekends for cruises in the countryside." - Perfect answer. I'll take it.
LOL...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speaking of tacking these cars. What do they run in the 1/4 mile? the car I'm coming out of was a convertable at full race weight and it ran [email protected]. I'm guessing a stock M5 to be 13.0 @ 105 or so?

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Speaking of tacking these cars. What do they run in the 1/4 mile? the car I'm coming out of was a convertable at full race weight and it ran [email protected] I'm guessing a stock M5 to be 13.0 @ 105 or so?
An AC Cobra (Superformance or similar)? Your pix isn't showing up.

Dave

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An AC Cobra (Superformance or similar)? Your pix isn't showing up.

Dave
I wish. No it was a 2003 Mustang Cobra. 1 of 340 SB Cobra Convertables made. Can't figure out how to post pics without added them to my gallery.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Speaking of tacking these cars. What do they run in the 1/4 mile? the car I'm coming out of was a convertable at full race weight and it ran [email protected]. I'm guessing a stock M5 to be 13.0 @ 105 or so?
They trap 108-109mph. Here is ELEVENS timeslip from his beast when it was stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts