BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've been searching for a couple of months now, but I can't find a pic of someone who install an after-market non-flip DVD/NAV in an m5. I would really like to see a pic if its been done. I'm thinking of buying the new eclipse double-din DVD deck because the previous owner completely gutted the stock a/v system. He replaced the head unit with a regular alpine cd player. I would really like to upgrade my system, but don't really like the look of flip out screens. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
109 Posts
hey i have a flip out and it does annoy me sometimes because it covers the ac vents but the eclipse nav and dvd screen is a good one... one that i found to be the best non flip
jesh

JAFO said:
Hey guys. I've been searching for a couple of months now, but I can't find a pic of someone who install an after-market non-flip DVD/NAV in an m5. I would really like to see a pic if its been done. I'm thinking of buying the new eclipse double-din DVD deck because the previous owner completely gutted the stock a/v system. He replaced the head unit with a regular alpine cd player. I would really like to upgrade my system, but don't really like the look of flip out screens. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crutchfield states that they don't even know if it fits in an e39! I can't believe that no one has tried this mod yet or know of anyone that has actually done this in an e39 m5 or not. If anyone has seen this mod done please let me know. I need to know if its going to fit flush or if it will stick out of the dash.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Pioneer has an AVIC unit.. the D2 I believe that is double DIN. The AVIC series is the best NAV/Entertainment system on the market.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In case anyone was wondering, how it would look to put an after-market head unit in the M5 here are a couple of pics. Please bare in mind that this was my first attemp at a custom install. It is far from perfect and a work in progress. The deck itself sticks out about a half an inch which I tried to taper down. Take a look and please feel free to let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
All things considered...not bad! I used to do installs at a shop.

It's VERY tough to make something look 'stock'. Very tough indeed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts