BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To All,

I'm in the market for wheels & tires but don't want to spend what the HRE 542Rs go for - so I'm considering purchasing one of the following replica wheel sets listed on ebay. Are replicas poor quality or more prone to wheel damage? Just wanted to get some feedback. Please see links below.

Much appreciated....
-Hratch Beylerian (New Jersey, USA)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43959&item=7926268962&rd=1

http://64.4.16.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=b4e198850477214d2d753222bf3fb076&lat=1097254865&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fcgi%2eebay%2ecom%2fws%2feBayISAPI%2edll%3fViewItem%26amp%3bitem%3d7925558199%26amp%3bssPageName%3dADME%3aB%3aWN%3aMT%3a1

·
Registered
947 Posts
i would always steer clear of replicas, especially on a car worth £70k.

Questions to ask if youre really keen on them

- Weight vs standard wheels
- Warranty period
- speak with other customers (whizzkid on the board i believe just bought some 19" schnitzer reps and is well pleased)

BBS/OZ/RONAL are usually the manufacturers behind Schnitzer/Hartge/Hamann etc, hence the reason for their good reputation.

I always prefer to buy second hand when $$ is the issue.

Good luck fella
foxy

·
Banned
386 Posts
I was thinking of picking up those same wheels, but if for just a lil more you can get good wheels.
Hamanns could run you about 500 a piece.... I just ordered DPE forged wheels for my ///M

·
Banned
99 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do it. Your wheels are one place I wouldn't
cheap out on. I just recently dropped a fair amount of money on
a used set of BBS LM's (Thank you DarkStar), but it is well worth it.
They are light, and more importantly strong. Although I could have gotten
replicas and my wallet is a fair bit lighter, at least
I have peace of mind...and of course they look great too.
If you want to spend less, just have patience and shop around
for a used set of quality, brand name wheels.

Just my $.02....

Good luck.

Gisho

·
Registered
327 Posts
(IMO) Personally, I would never buy replicas again following my nightmare experiences!

I also own a 525i E34 and bought a set of E39 M replicas for it, major probs with steering wheel shake and they could not be balanced properly, turned out that they were not completely round! (got all my money back, but what a load of hassle)

I then went for AC type II, also replicas, but from a shop with a good reputation. Lovely wheels but am not keen on the plastic inserts they install to make them fit, as when the wheels have been removed and replaced... guess what! wheel wobble again.

I need to take them off and re-fit or will have to buy new plastic inserts!

Bought genuine AC type III for M5 and they are PERFECT in every way.

Would like a set of chrome(bling bling) wheels for summer use only but am not having much luck finding any, any ideas?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Replicas are fine, Original PG Hamanns are bricks anyways, i bet these are lighter or same weight at most. I have some ACS Type III replicas.
IF you get those Hamann copies, so you know the real Hamann center caps should fit hiha

www.monetwheels.com or www.movenwheels.com - the PG are prob. Moven brand. I have some Moven replica ACS Type III 19x8.5 and 9.5 rear Even the ACS center caps fit. (The wheels come w/ BMW OE caps.)

Get em from http://www.visionautosport.com/contact.htm - ask for Nat, They should be about $1195 for silver face 19" stagger all 4 wheels. He hooked me up good on mine :M5thumbs:

I am not implying this to all replica wheels, but most are made to same quality control standards as other name brands. If you talk to some people, Moven is a name brand and there are countless numbers of Audi, VW, and Bimmers with them. Companies are in business to make and push quality product, not have a bunch of warranty issues that can jeopardize their overseas interests.

If they are so faulty and illegal, then how do the containers clear customs?

Some 2pc and 3pc copies, dont look as authentic since its hard to do a 1pc cast wheel copy to look like a multipiece. Some look 99% as original and most onlookers wont notice. Only those with a good eye and know about the actual "real" wheel can tell. I fooled some on this board myself. If you have the money, I agree go for a forged HRE, DPE, SSR, BBS, etc.. (I have 2 sets DPE on my truck & SUV - love em!) If you are on budget like i was replicas are fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Folks,

I greatly appreciate all this feedback - just recently joined this forum and am impressed with the quick and datadriven responses.

Are there any sites out there where I can purchase pre-owned wheel sets - other than ebaymotors?

Also, I noticed some folks have 10, 10.5, vs. 9.5 inch wheels on the rear - what do I go with - I'm thinking 10 rear and 8.5 on fronts? or should I stick with 8.5f & 9.5r? Also, what are the stock offsets?

Anyone have pics of 19s on stock suspension? I'm sure they don't look as good as on dropped M5s but how bad are they?

Again, thanks for the great info guys.

-HB

·
Banned
99 Posts
HBeylerian said:
Folks,

I greatly appreciate all this feedback - just recently joined this forum and am impressed with the quick and datadriven responses.

Are there any sites out there where I can purchase pre-owned wheel sets - other than ebaymotors?

Also, I noticed some folks have 10, 10.5, vs. 9.5 inch wheels on the rear - what do I go with - I'm thinking 10 rear and 8.5 on fronts? or should I stick with 8.5f & 9.5r? Also, what are the stock offsets?

Anyone have pics of 19s on stock suspension? I'm sure they don't look as good as on dropped M5s but how bad are they?

Again, thanks for the great info guys.

-HB
Besides E-bay, keep checking here at this site under "Wanted/For Sale" section. Also, recycler.com, craig's list, etc. I was lucky and found my BBS
LM's at this site just recently after searching for a couple months. Mine are
8.5" fronts and 10" rears on stock suspension. I think they look great! I just took some pictures the other day and was planning on posting them this weekend. Look out for them.

Good luck,
Gisho

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would have agreed that replica's were a bad idea a while back. Lately it seems that the replica companies are coming out with some amazing quality for much less money and weight wise they seem to be very close to the brand name company's.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I hope you guys understand there is "LOTS" of your brand name high quality product u "believe" is made in Japan, Germany or whatever country their headquarters is in, but in reality its outsourced made by someone making 30 cents an hour. Especially in the aftermarket wheel market. I been in this aftermarket biz **** near 10 years now, and the things i know and have seen, even stunts pulled by major players. Lets just say a lot, I mean a lot of wheels are made in China / Taiwan. Waayyyyyy More than you all realize. Even if the wheel is constructed here in the States most of the hoops and some materials come from, hmm guess where? yes even for forged wheels. Now all this does not mean quality is bad. Just same exact machines, workers, and quality care control. Very soon if not already, China will have major contracts with US and other automakers to build their vehicles there. Watch.

BTW - im not here to sell any parts there are lots of reliable vendors on here, im saying this as to not get "booted". Please support BeastPower if u can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts