BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Checked this car out in person last week. I was the first potential buyer to see this car and took cash with me with the intention of buying it for full asking price. Took it to get checked out at Garage 54 in Glendale, CA (reputable BMW indy shop)

Unfortunately, almost every panel on the car had been painted. The quality of the paint work was very bad. The clear coat on several parts of the car had the dripping effect, faded clear coat on other parts of the car, bondo on passenger rear door for sure. I have the carfax if anyone is interested. No accidents reported on Carfax however. Maybe the only panels that were not painted were the trunk, roof, and possibly the hood. Every other panel was definitely painted. No vin stickers on both fenders as well.

The car has not been maintained throughout the current owner's near-10 years of ownership (had no service records and he told me straight-up that he had not maintained the car much while he's had it). Sway bar end link was literally broken off and dangling in the rear end, blown bushings, diff had an enormous leak (most likely damaged due to the loss of oil), blown shocks, hoses were extremely mushy, needed brakes, needed tires.

One thing that was amazing about the car is the motor and transmission did not have a single leak (besides power steering, which is not a big deal). The motor ran very good and was very quiet.

It's unfortunate that a low mileage le mans on le mans was in this kind of condition. I took cash in the amount of the full asking price with the intention of buying it on the spot (who wouldn't? 76k miles, 2-owner, le mans on lemans for $19k). However, I felt reluctant even offering $10k for this car, which he politely declined.

My intention is not to bash on the owner, he was a very awesome person. Looks like the paint work was done before he owned the car. Just giving honest and un-biased information for any fellow board member who is going to invest their time looking at this car, as I had law school finals but couldn't focus for 3 days, impatiently waiting to buy the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Checked this car out in person last week. I was the first potential buyer to see this car and took cash with me with the intention of buying it for full asking price. Took it to get checked out at Garage 54 in Glendale, CA (reputable BMW indy shop)

Unfortunately, almost every panel on the car had been painted. The quality of the paint work was very bad. The clear coat on several parts of the car had the dripping effect, faded clear coat on other parts of the car, bondo on passenger rear door for sure. I have the carfax if anyone is interested. No accidents reported on Carfax however. Maybe the only panels that were not painted were the trunk, roof, and possibly the hood. Every other panel was definitely painted. No vin stickers on both fenders as well.

The car has not been maintained throughout the current owner's near-10 years of ownership (had no service records and he told me straight-up that he had not maintained the car much while he's had it). Sway bar end link was literally broken off and dangling in the rear end, blown bushings, diff had an enormous leak (most likely damaged due to the loss of oil), blown shocks, hoses were extremely mushy, needed brakes, needed tires.

One thing that was amazing about the car is the motor and transmission did not have a single leak (besides power steering, which is not a big deal). The motor ran very good and was very quiet.

It's unfortunate that a low mileage le mans on le mans was in this kind of condition. I took cash in the amount of the full asking price with the intention of buying it on the spot (who wouldn't? 76k miles, 2-owner, le mans on lemans for $19k). However, I felt reluctant even offering $10k for this car, which he politely declined.

My intention is not to bash on the owner, he was a very awesome person. Looks like the paint work was done before he owned the car. Just giving honest and un-biased information for any fellow board member who is going to invest their time looking at this car, as I had law school finals but couldn't focus for 3 days, impatiently waiting to buy the car.
stuff like this is why this board is so great

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding with that info. You may haved saved someone a lot of trouble that I caused! By the numbers it seemed like a great deal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was getting ready to fly to Cali; thanks!
Thanks for responding with that info. You may haved saved someone a lot of trouble that I caused! By the numbers it seemed like a great deal.
Anytime fellas. Trust me, I was REALLY excited too because the asking price is truly amazing. I paid near that price for my '01 Imola on Imola with 119k miles exactly one year ago from M5board-member Heyhouse. He daily drove the car, putting over 60k miles in 5 years, but he never spared a single penny maintaining it. After seeing this lemans car made me truly realize how miles are so irrelevant when it comes to high maintenance cars. MAINTENANCE > low miles. My car has 126k miles as of today but runs, drives, and looks like a car with <50k miles.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Dam shame :(. I was eye balling this car too.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was this car on craigslist for about 10 days, I was about to contact the seller to see the car in person. But the ad was gone and it doesn't show up on the search. I had a weird feeling about the price though: low miles le mans blue with that interior for just $19000 when similar cars with more mileage are going for higher price? Looks like my suspicions were justified...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was this car on craigslist for about 10 days, I was about to contact the seller to see the car in person. But the ad was gone and it doesn't show up on the search. I had a weird feeling about the price though: low miles le mans blue with that interior for just $19000 when similar cars with more mileage are going for higher price? Looks like my suspicions were justified...
It's still for sale. His Craigslist post probably just expired. It looks like he's trying to sort out a few of the problems, like the dangling sway bar in the rear. His understanding was that if he sorts these things out, he'll be able to ask $25k for the car as opposed to his current asking price. :dunno: I tried explaining that wouldn't happen, but he begged to differ. Nonetheless, I hope he gets top dollar for it. The more cars like that sell for top dollar, the more the value of our beasts goes up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
herrubermensch
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing