BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

now my exhaust and brakes are done, its been about 2 weeks before Mr Modbug caught me again, and i think its time to turn to the suspension, as although the stock suspension is excellent, i think it looks better slightly lower, and will give me more confidence in higher speed corners where there is a tendency to roll slightly.

Now, i know this has been discussed at length, but usually on adjustable systems like the Bilstein PSS9 and the KW V3 etc etc.

I am of the belief that one of these systems is excellent if you are the type of person who has strong knowledge of suspension geometry, and has the tools and facilities to either DIY or pay someone to continually optimise the settings for the conditions.

However, my need is much simpler. I track the car maybe twice a year, and drive only at weekends, hence the reason i am after suspension.

Once installed however i do not wish to play around with adjustments etc.

What do you guys suggest for a good non adjustable system. Shortlist so far

1. Schnitzer shocks and springs with anti rollbars
2. Possibly sourcing a Dinan system from the US and bringing back when i
next visit California with work
3. Keeping stock M5 shocks, and using H&R/Eibach spring set and some eibach antirolls.

Thanks a mill for your comments, apologies for the long post!! zzzzz

Cheers
Foxy :cheers:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am in the same boat - saw a post on the forum regarding H&R front springs only - the beast looked the part!Will be following this thread closely, especially, if any local suplliers can come with a deal we can't turn down!

Nudge nudge, wink wink... Beastpower, CA, HTR - any opportunity for 2 setups here... ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Shocks and springs need to be matched. If you lower the car and leave the stock shocks you will loose some wheel travel and the shocks will bottom more easily. Suspenssion tuning is a compromise. On my track car I have a fully adjustable set up including camber/caster and toe at all 4 corners. I can also adjust the ride height as well as the sway bars.

Street settings do not work for the track and vice versa.

I would sugest a spring and shock combination that is a compromise between the two. You can't have both. It is possible to change settings for the track on an adjustable set up. However if you change your camber settings this will also change your tow settings. More camber = less tow out. On a track car a small amount of tow out is good on a street car it is bad. I drive to tthe track with about 2.5 deg of neg. camber this gives me too much tow out. When I get to the track I increase my camber to 3.5 or more and the tow is about 1/8 of an inch total. Perfect for the track.

The drive to the track is a bit sketchy due to the increased tow out.

Keep on doing research and call or email companies like Ground Control and see what they recomend.

Best,

Jordan

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jordantii said:
Shocks and springs need to be matched. If you lower the car and leave the stock shocks you will loose some wheel travel and the shocks will bottom more easily. Suspenssion tuning is a compromise. On my track car I have a fully adjustable set up including camber/caster and toe at all 4 corners. I can also adjust the ride height as well as the sway bars.

Street settings do not work for the track and vice versa.

I would sugest a spring and shock combination that is a compromise between the two. You can't have both. It is possible to change settings for the track on an adjustable set up. However if you change your camber settings this will also change your tow settings. More camber = less tow out. On a track car a small amount of tow out is good on a street car it is bad. I drive to tthe track with about 2.5 deg of neg. camber this gives me too much tow out. When I get to the track I increase my camber to 3.5 or more and the tow is about 1/8 of an inch total. Perfect for the track.

The drive to the track is a bit sketchy due to the increased tow out.

Keep on doing research and call or email companies like Ground Control and see what they recomend.

Best,

Jordan
thanks dude, its precisely these type of adjustments etc that i want to steer clear of. I'd like the same suspension as the m5, just less roll and maybe 25mm lower. - maybe schnitzer!?

cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
thanks dude, its precisely these type of adjustments etc that i want to steer clear of. I'd like the same suspension as the m5, just less roll and maybe 25mm lower. - maybe schnitzer!?

cheers
You can fix the roll problem by going with a thicker sway bar. The Eibach sway bars for your application (got mine for $430 front and rear) will help in one of your two areas of concern.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
244 Posts
jerbro said:
You can fix the roll problem by going with a thicker sway bar. The Eibach sway bars for your application (got mine for $430 front and rear) will help in one of your two areas of concern.

-Jeremy
I would go for a shock and spring set up first then look at sway bars. Sway bars are usually the last thing one uses to tune a suspension. It is a quick fix if you do not want to go all the way with springs and shocks. It is possible to use a smaller sway bar after the springs and shocks have be selected. If they are matched properly for their intended purpose the smaller bar can be used to fine tune.

Remember that the shocks and springs will change the ride considerably. You can go with bars first and if it is not enough then go with springs and shocks and go back to the stock sway bars and see where you are at. You can then add the sway bars and adjust to your liking.

It is a suspension "system" and works as a system. If you change one component it will have an effect on all the other components.

Jordan

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The Eibach coilover system is easy only ride height adjustable. The compromise in combination with the sway bars is very good indeed :wroom:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts