BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 3.6 E34 M5. I've had it two weeks. It is GOOD!

On start up it sounds like the exhaust is blowing. Then, after around 2 mins, it suddenly goes silent and the idle is normal if a little lumpy.

Does this model have secondary air injection for cold start emissions?

Is there another emissions/cold start device that might cause this?

Any advice welcome as an otherwise excellent car is currently a bit embarrasing in the car park.

Sean.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Its the air pump that engages during a cold start up to help emissions. With age they get noisy. Nothing to worry about.

Lantz

·
10,456 Posts
there is a plastic vacuum line that runs from the tb's down to a diverter valve on the smog pump. This line fails, so no vacuum to the valve, and the smog pump vents to the atmosphere, causing idle to sound a bit like an old outboard motorboat.

Replace the vacuum line (i think raymond has a write up for this somewhere) and you smog pump will be much quieter at cold start. I just did it on mine while doing cooling system maintance.
:cheers:

Reactions: Seaneee

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Welcome to the board Seaneee .......

Did you pick up the lovely black 3.6 , reg J***URD ? If so , great buy .....seemed a whole lot of car for the money .

Most E34 M5 S38 engines idle relatively roughly / lumpy , as they are just begging to be revved ..... once the oil temp has warmed up of course !

D

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Good skills .......Enjoy your car .....hopefully we'll get to see you both at one of our meets !

·
Registered
7,660 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Application Form

Have you had your application form? I phoned the chap and he put me on the list but I haven't heard anything since then.

Had a great drive today but would still like to give it 10 10ths on the track.

Let me know.

Sean.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Hi Sean , I've paid via credit card and am all booked in .

They sent me the forms to complete and asked me to fax them to the organiser , Chris Wadsley . I have yet to speak to him but have called a couple of times already .......

As long as you have paid at the office then the forms won't be of huge importance , although I would call the office again to ask them to send them .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Paid

Hi Sean , I've paid via credit card and am all booked in .

They sent me the forms to complete and asked me to fax them to the organiser , Chris Wadsley . I have yet to speak to him but have called a couple of times already .......

As long as you have paid at the office then the forms won't be of huge importance , although I would call the office again to ask them to send them .
Paid today. Hope it doesn't rain. Haven't quite worked out how to drive it agressively in the wet.

Any tips on car prep?

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Paid today. Hope it doesn't rain. Haven't quite worked out how to drive it agressively in the wet.

Any tips on car prep?
The rain can be fun , especially at Cadwell where there is a decent amount of run off !

I am not going to attempt to advise anyone how to drive their recently acquired E34 M5 aggressively in the wet .......they understeer and they oversteer .....it's up to you to find the balance !

As for car prep :

Check sump plug / chain tensioner for tightness / leaks .

Brake pads and fluid level / leaks .

Fuel hoses and caps .

Wheelnuts .

Tyres , both condition and pressures .....I run 37 front and 40 rear on 17s on trackdays ......some prefer harder , I prefer a touch more feel !

Dampers .......

Coolant levels .......bring a bottle ready mixed .

Spark plugs .......bring 6 spares . Bosch Y6DC ( GSF are reasonable )

Exhaust mounts .

Windscreen wipers .

Lights ......you can put electrical tape on lenses to prevent glass shattering in the event of stones / bash !

Clear all of your nik naks out of the car / boot / glovebox .

Most of all , drive within your limits and how you feel comfortable , there are no prizes and very few honeys to impress ......just enjoy yourself and get to know your wonderful car a bit better in a relatively safe environment !

I look forward to meeting you there ......make sure that you introduce yourself if you see me , as I am normally in a world of my own !

D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts