BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANyone have any small squeeks in their front suspension, more specifically the front driver side. I notice that when I pull out the driveway or go over a small speed bump when there's more weight on that side, there's a small squeek that's noticeable. Anyone know what it is or have had that noise?hmmm

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think I might have the same problem... but the suspension is not at fault here (at least in my case). When you open the windows, can you still hear the noise? I asked numerous people to stand by a speedbump or a driveway and listen if that noise was coming from the suspension and everybody said that there was no noise. I spend days wondering about what was making that noise, and then I realized it was my seat. Not the seat exactly, but the side supports that support your lats... they squeek, try squeezing them, I know for sure that in my case thats where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ATK said:
I think I might have the same problem... but the suspension is not at fault here (at least in my case). When you open the windows, can you still hear the noise? I asked numerous people to stand by a speedbump or a driveway and listen if that noise was coming from the suspension and everybody said that there was no noise. I spend days wondering about what was making that noise, and then I realized it was my seat. Not the seat exactly, but the side supports that support your lats... they squeek, try squeezing them, I know for sure that in my case thats where the noise is coming from.
I'll check first thing tomorrow morning. It's funny though...I only hear the noise when the window is open. I assume if it's the seat, I can hear the noise with the windows up. I've only heard them with the windows down. :dunno:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is it the brakes? I can hear a squeaking/cracking noise after heating the brakes up and going over speedbumps. I have also heard this in other cars, not other M5s though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It may be the differential, which I believe is a documented problem on this board. I have 3500 mi on mine and just discovered a major leak--fluid all over my garage and splattered through the wheel. Dealer is towing it in today.

·
Registered
331 Posts
azwdct said:
It may be the differential, which I believe is a documented problem on this board. I have 3500 mi on mine and just discovered a major leak--fluid all over my garage and splattered through the wheel. Dealer is towing it in today.

It may be the door seals- its also a documented problem. It sounds very much like the suspension (because bumps in the road make the sound occur) but isnt. If it is, its a quick fix.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to have them look into it when I drop by. I know it's not the brakes. I've read the post on the doorseal, so i'll mention that and the differential when i drop by.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Front Wheels Clicking noise

I have a clicking noise when traveling at low speeds and turning the wheels. This is more noticeable in reverse.
The clicking noise comes from the front wheels.
The dealer at first said is normal and all M6s do it. the second time I took it, they adjusted the front suspension plate. the noise dissappeared for a while, but after 500 miles is back.
Is this the noise you have?

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
azwdct, the car is stock??

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
tie-rod ends?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Interesting! I have about 2300miles on my '08 and notice a "hmmm" or low-toned rumble(?) sound from the front of the car when I slow down. I am not sure that it has anything to do with the brakes as I hear it when the car downshifts from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st. I have to pay more attention to it as I just started noticing it. It is always while I am slowing down to a stop, or almost a stop. I think that I will make a new post on this as it is definitely not a squeeking sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Front Wheels licking Noise

Try the following:
While moving oin reverse at low speeds (driveway speed), turn the wheel slowly and hear for a clicking sound as the car moves. I am being told by the dealer that all M series, and 3 series do it.
If you have it in reverse, sooner or later it will show up while moving forward and turning slowly, as when turning a corner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Front Wheels Clicking noise

Hello there.
Thanks for the reply.
It appears we both have the same noise. Although it is no longer a big deal with me, I feel BMW dealerships should be able to diagnose the problem.
this is my third M6, and my twentieth BMW. Although I did not notice the noise on the other two M6s, I was not looking for it, and the fact that this one is a convertible may be the thing that made me notice, since it is more noticeable with the top down.
In any event, thanks again, let me know if you find out what the noise stems from, or how to fix it.
Below my e-mail address for direct contac.
My name is Roman Benitez, I live in Miami, Florida, USA.
e-mail address; [email protected]
Regards,

·
Registered
104 Posts
Same issue here.

I have a clicking noise when traveling at low speeds and turning the wheels. This is more noticeable in reverse.
The clicking noise comes from the front wheels.
The dealer at first said is normal and all M6s do it. the second time I took it, they adjusted the front suspension plate. the noise dissappeared for a while, but after 500 miles is back.
Is this the noise you have?

My care has less then 3k miles on it and I now here a clicking sound at slow speeds when turning the wheel. You can feel it in the steering wheel as well. I guess it's time to bring it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My care has less then 3k miles on it and I now here a clicking sound at slow speeds when turning the wheel. You can feel it in the steering wheel as well. I guess it's time to bring it in to the dealer.
I personally ignore and try not to listen for such noises until the are obvious.

I have noticed that cranking the wheel with low revs often leads to a bit of shaking. On the old E39 M5 I would just rev it up a bit and it would go away. I kind of do the same with this one when it does this, but a little harder since I can't just put in the clutch so I kind of tap the throttle and it seems to help.

I try not to fix what is not broken. The dealer often break more than they fix, but if when gets worse or more often is usually the determining factor if it is a 'real' concern. Life is too short to worry about every little noise and detract from just enjoying the car. That is not to say I would ignore an obvious issue, I have just learned to keep my mouth shut about the minor issues or intermittent issues until it becomes easy enough to diagnose.

I think the steering is under a ton of load while rolling slowly combined with the low revs of the power steering pump will create this shaking. I notice this mostly when reversing into the garage at a sharp angle too and it is probably normal. Do realize you are putting a lot of tension and stress on the steering components though and take it easy. Try to get the revs up. Try to think of it has how hard it is to turn the wheel with the engine off and the car not rolling and then think about what you are asking your car to do and the stress you are putting on the components when you are listening for noises by turning the wheel from full lock to full lock while not rolling (for those that are doing this). I always avoid full lock even when doing u-turns. Use some common sense. I mean don't try to break the car.

Just my thought...

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I have the squeaky noise too when turning in the driveway or uneven pavement. Initially though that was Dinan suspension stage II, then later found out the strut bar was loose. Then after retight it still there, finally, they removed the strut bar and reinstalled and tighten. So far, no problem for a week now.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've had this creak/clicking noise at slow speed when turning.

Turned out to be the bolt on the strut that hold the headlight level arm on the left side front.

There are 2 bolts, one is a pinch bolt that holds the bottom the strut and the other holds the headlight level adjustment arm (whatever it is called).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts