BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was driving yesterday on the 101 going North, I saw a light blue M5 who gave me a nod as I drove by and gave a :thumbsup:. Another when I was on the San Mateo bridge and a silver one nodded as I passed him.

Two very nice people as I was driving my commuter,- a 93 Honda Prelude with the paint peeling. ;)

Just thought I'd share.

-Mark
01 Velvet Blue

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: How many Beast owners out there nod when you see another fellow owner on the road?

I do every time--a nod, a thumbs up. We're all part of a great club.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Re: How many Beast owners out there nod when you see another fellow owner on the road?

:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
312 Posts

Other than the Chicago folks who are on this Board, I think the average Chicago M5 driver has NO motoring spirit. The ONLY times that we've nodded to, or waved to, or otherwise acknowledged M5 drivers here in the city, and recieved a response, have been when those drivers have out of state plates (notably, Georgia and New Mexico)!!!

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the MINI owners' lounge of a similar lack of motoring spirit amongst Chicago MINI drivers. Needless to say, whenever I get a response from a fellow MINI driver here in the city, it is a welcome surprise.

We've had a number of instances where, in the attempt to acknowledge Chicago M5 drivers, the response wasn't just a passive "I'm going to ignore you" or "I'm going to pretend I didn't see you" - and if the driver really didn't see the wave, nod, whatever, that's fine - but in many instances, the response has been an outright, active "Yeah, I saw you. Quit bothering me" response, complete with a scowl! Really now, how bad could life be? You're in an M5 for ****'s sake!

If these were one-off instances, they wouldn't even register on the radar. However, the frequency of the active "I'm refusing to acknowledge my fellow motorer" attitude is a disappointing trend. I'm convinced that these people are not folks who have bought the M5 (or for that matter, any other BMW, or MINI) because they truly understand what the car is all about, and what it is capable of, but rather, because they once read somewhere, or were told by someone, that "it's the status car to have".

Feh.

Nevertheless, I will continue to wave, nod, smile, whatever. Just 'cuz they're spiritless grumps doesn't mean I have to be!!

2MS said:
While I was driving yesterday on the 101 going North, I saw a light blue M5 who gave me a nod as I drove by and gave a :thumbsup:. Another when I was on the San Mateo bridge and a silver one nodded as I passed him.

Two very nice people as I was driving my commuter,- a 93 Honda Prelude with the paint peeling. ;)

Just thought I'd share.

-Mark
01 Velvet Blue

·
Registered
739 Posts

Its either a nod a a quick "double toot" on the horn.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Save the Wave, eh.... I see few M5s as I drive about, but when I do, I give a nod, thumbs up or whatever accompanied with a smile. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts

I give a nod or thumbs up whenever the other driver looks over. It seems at least half of the other M5 drivers never notice or acknowledge me!
P

·
Registered
7,532 Posts

I still remember the days when EVERY BMW acknowledged each other with a flash of the lights...almost without exception. That has been "a little while" though I guess. :sad2:

·
Registered
251 Posts

I don't see many other M5's in the North Bay, but just this past Wednesday I saw a fellow M5'er on 101 South - Silverstone color, 2000 model I believe. Dapper looking fellow, we waved at each other.

Paul

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

I wave, but everyone else with an M5 must think I'm an idiot, as they never wave back and instead just try to ignore me and look cool. :confused:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Re: How many Beast owners out there nod when you see another fellow owner on the road

CSBM5 said:
I still remember the days when EVERY BMW acknowledged each other with a flash of the lights...almost without exception. That has been "a little while" though I guess. :sad2:
AGREED! I'm too young to remember this (20 years old) but my dad always tells me about how back in the day when he had a 1980 320i he would flash to any BMW he saw on the road. Granted it was pretty rare to see other BMWs back then, but you would think that people would still do something when they come across another BMW. I always give at least a wave or nod to other BMWs and I usually flash my lights when I see another M3 or an M5.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Re: How many Beast owners out there nod when you see another fellow owner on the road

I submit that we bring back flashing your bright lights! At least to other M cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Well, I usually end up doing a double take...like holy crap!! That was an M5. There are two others in my town...maybe a third one. A sterling grey, Lemans blue and then about a week ago I saw the light blue (what's it called again?), but that's the first time I'd seen it around. Unfortunately, I've never seen them while in my M5.

I followed the sterling one on the freeway once for several miles. You know, it accelerates so effortlessly compared to my explorer...I couldn't keep up very well. :M5launch: I wanted to tell him I'm the Titanium one, but alas......

·
Registered
71 Posts

I used to own a 96 Impala SS and I loved the fact that other SS owners would almost always wave at each other.

But, with the M5, it has been disappointing. I wave at the other ones around here in Mountain View, Los Altos, Palo Alto, etc. and only once has another guy waved back. The other ones don't even notice.

Anyways, I'll still keep waving and hope others wave back.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts

:M5thumbs: :thumbsup: :byee55amg A thumbs up or a wave always

·
Registered
116 Posts

I saw an M5 in the parking lot of my local hardware store and I took my time getting into the store hoping that the owner would come out so we could have a chat. (he did!).

So yes indeed, I wave. I don't see many M5's in the Chicago area and when the rare occasion occurs when I do I definately want to give 'em the nod.

--Mike

·
Registered
7,532 Posts

davem3smg said:
AGREED! I'm too young to remember this (20 years old) but my dad always tells me about how back in the day when he had a 1980 320i he would flash to any BMW he saw on the road. Granted it was pretty rare to see other BMWs back then, but you would think that people would still do something when they come across another BMW. I always give at least a wave or nod to other BMWs and I usually flash my lights when I see another M3 or an M5.
Yeah, I was thinking back to 1972 or so...by the late 70's the flashing thing was dying or dead for the most part. As soon as the 320i hit the market in 1977 here in the US, the nature of BMW owners started changing pretty fast. Heck around Atlanta in the late 70's, you would have burned out your headlights with all the flashing you would need to do every day. :D

I've seen about 50/50 response or less from other local M5's I run across (except Redshift that is!) in terms of even recognizing the car and such. Even a local Z8 I ran across wasn't too interested in the M5. ouich

1 - 20 of 63 Posts