BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

nocturnal drinking problem?

1209 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  gsfent
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hate to be the starter of another "does your car do this?" post, but...

I've noticed that when my car is down to 1/8 of a tank or so, the 'range' indicated on the computer when I start it up in the morning drops rather significantly in comparison to what it was showing when I parked it the night before. hmmm After driving for a couple of miles the range increases back to approx where it should be. I don't know if this is some sort of quirk in the range calculations or what? Am I alone here, or are other m's drinking from their gastanks while we sleep?

Oh, by the way, no - no one else has access to the car.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Murph said:
I've noticed that when my car is down to 1/8 of a tank or so, the 'range' indicated on the computer when I start it up in the morning drops rather significantly in comparison to what it was showing when I parked it the night before. hmmm After driving for a couple of miles the range increases back to approx where it should be. I don't know if this is some sort of quirk in the range calculations or what? Am I alone here, or are other m's drinking from their gastanks while we sleep?

Oh, by the way, no - no one else has access to the car.
Same here - but it's not just the range it's also the fuel gauge reading lower on initial start up and then coming back up some after a few miles of driving. This is especially noticable if you are close to the low fuel lamp illuminating - it will light up at start up and then go out after a few miles of driving.

· Registered
76 Posts
gsfent said:
This apparently is a design "feature". In a thread about how to unlock the OBC, there was a note that there seemed to be two indications for fuel, a rising number and a declining number that were combined. It seems the reading is designed to be lower when starting up (why? only those German engineers seems to know! :eek: ), so I don't think there is anything wrong with the gauges.
Regards,
Jerry
Makes sense - there are 2 level sending units in the fuel tank. The final fuel level "reading" is a combination of the 2 and it could be that the software needs some minimum amount of time to arrive at the final level reading. In the interim it errs on the side of showing too low as opposed to showing too much fuel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.