BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the second time in my time with this car the heating/aircon fan has stopped working. When it happened before, I had the Final Stage Resistor (think that's what it's called?) changed and all was well. This was only 2 years and 15K miles ago though - how long do they normally last??

UPDATE -

Apparently I'm at about the right mileage/age to have the fan motor fail, which apart from the huge cost of the fan, involves 4 hours labour! Fingers crossed it isn;t the fan! I can check the resistor but need the pin-out of the connector it plugs into and what resistance I should expect to see between each pair of pins. Anyone??!

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
For the second time in my time with this car the heating/aircon fan has stopped working. When it happened before, I had the Final Stage Resistor (think that's what it's called?) changed and all was well. This was only 2 years and 15K miles ago though - how long do they normally last??

UPDATE -

Apparently I'm at about the right mileage/age to have the fan motor fail, which apart from the huge cost of the fan, involves 4 hours labour! Fingers crossed it isn;t the fan! I can check the resistor but need the pin-out of the connector it plugs into and what resistance I should expect to see between each pair of pins. Anyone??!

Cheers!
Sorry, no help without WDS. The online version seems to be down at the moment. I have a secondary link at home if you'd like to shoot me a PM to remind me to look this weekend.

Otherwise, I seem to recall there are only 4-5 wires on the FSU. Red = Power, Brown = Ground. The other 2-3 should all be output wires to the blower, etc. I would think that by playing around with the various controls you should be able to see what is happening. I would expect everything to be 12V driven given the size of the wires.

d-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts