BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realised recently I've had my 1997 B10 V8 for almost 5 years. Which is unbelievably long for me - previous record was 1.5 years. But what are the alternatives? What else gives you the same combination of practicality and performance?

I saw on Ebay a 2002 CL600 V12 going for around £38K which grabbed my attention - took a look at it - it's a beatiful car but not as quick as the B10 V8. Lost of toys - but in the end the driving is more important.

Dunno. I love my Alpina and I love the fact that it's so rare - but I can't believe I'm "stuck" with it for life - assuming I don't suddenly come into a silly amount of money. Another problem is that at 90K miles (but running perfectly) it's probably not worth a lot if I try and sell it. I was relieved to hear that BMW no longer impose a 100,000 mile limit on the warranty.

Maybe I should just get the thing resprayed, stick some new wheels on - probably transform the car and I'd be in love again. On the other hand someone would just put another ding in the door within a week :-(

·
Registered
885 Posts
Keep it for another couple of years,then maybe a B5 is within reach....

·
Registered
299 Posts
The V8s are good for 200.000 miles-just give the car the services it needs and change the headgasket early enough-or go for a B10 V8s-they are getting cheaper due to the E60-an these are realy fabulous and even more rare cars.

Just remember-Driving a Alpina makes you happy every time you drive it:noSMG:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I'd love the B10 V8S.. had a quick look but there don't appear to be any on the market right now. I guess they're going to be rare. I wonder how much they'd cost right now..?

On the other hand I guess I'd be paying more money for basically the same experience but with more power and probably more toys (sat nav etc). My current car is probably 95% of the B10 V8S but at zero cost.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK, so suppose I decide to keep my B10 V8 and maybe spend a little money on getting it into pristine condition. It's done 90k miles - what sort of things should I be looking at? For example the shocks haven't ever been replaced.. neither have cab mounts or bushes or anything like that. I noticed somebody mentioned the head gasket - is this a known danger area? What other things should I spend money on at this stage?

If nothing else it could do with wheel refurbishing and a paint job but there may be more urgent mechanical items...

[Oh, I also thought about things like the newer headlights, white indicator lenses, the newer instrument cluster (mine only reads up to 155mph and has the normal white BMW needles) but it might make sense to keep it original]

·
Registered
164 Posts
Greg,

I've heard from a couple of sources that the BMW warranty for 5 series models is going to be approx £1000 on the next renewal :eek: which unfortunately will end it for me.
Apparently BMW are no longer allowed to do their own warranty and it will have to be run by an independent 3rd party?????
I've yet to confirm this but if true it is bad news all round.

Jim

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch.

So what would you do, get rid of the car? I don't fancy owning a B10 V8 without a warranty - imagine the potential cost... Then again maybe they are fairly bullet-proof?

Dunno. A grand is a lot. It's already - what - 700 or 800 quid???

·
Registered
164 Posts
I will still keep my car but I'm just not prepared to pay approx £1k for a warranty so I will have to take a chance, it cost me £620 last year.

I've had a quick look on the net for alternative warranties but so far nothing matches the BMW cover and the age of the car becomes a problem as well.

My BMW warranty still has 6 months to run so I will keep looking and considering alternatives.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get the newer kidney grll and angel eyes. Will look a treat at the front.

Do an advanced driving course, track driving course. You will see your car in a whole new light, The best money you can ever spend.

:M5launch:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts