BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I specified my current car (E39) with a steel sunroof.

I notice for the E60 there is no steel sunroof option. The only sunroof available is the glass one (option number 403).

There are a number of possible reasons for this including:

(1) There was not enough demand for the steel roof
(2) BMW are getting really savvy and forcing anyone who wants a roof to get the more expensive glass option - this also reduces their production costs as they only have to tool up for & purchase one kind of optional roof.

I'm going for the glass roof, but it would have been nice to have the choice.

Are BMW fleecing M5 owners for all they're worth?

This is getting irksome. First the useless stock colours forcing me to pay thousands more for Individual and now this....

:mad:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ashok Arora said:

I notice for the E60 there is no steel sunroof option. The only sunroof available is the glass one (option number 403).

(2) BMW are getting really savvy and forcing anyone who wants a roof to get the more expensive glass option - this also reduces their production costs as they only have to tool up for & purchase one kind of optional roof.

This is getting irksome. First the useless stock colours forcing me to pay thousands more for Individual and now this....

In UK Glass Sunroof is standard so certainly not being ripped off here!! Also prefer Glass sunroof to metal sunroof as it allows light in even when it is raining!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
BMW stoped producing steel sunroofs on all their models

I was told by a friend at the dealers that they only ever sold 1 steel sunroof E39 M5, the rest were all Glass

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SuperBMW said:
BMW stoped producing steel sunroofs on all their models

I was told by a friend at the dealers that they only ever sold 1 steel sunroof E39 M5, the rest were all Glass
Must be mine :D

I must be the only one with the cassette holder in the armrest too! ouich

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ashok Arora said:

Hav you seen Gustav's latest picture thread? It's a little hard to tell but, but it looks as though it could be a steel sunroof.

:cheers: simmikie

·
Registered
714 Posts
What is the reason for choosing steel sunroof anyways?

Ashok Arora said:
...This is getting irksome. First the useless stock colours forcing me to pay thousands more for Individual and now this....

there are a few nice stock colors. something like carbon black should be standard instead. (was it std on E46 M3's? dont think it was individual color on that car).

·
Registered
559 Posts
M! said:
What is the reason for choosing steel sunroof anyways?

there are a few nice stock colors. something like carbon black should be standard instead. (was it std on E46 M3's? dont think it was individual color on that car).
Yes, indeed. Carbon black is one of the standard metallic colours for the E46 M3. Kind of strange that the same colour is standard for one M vehicle and a far more expensive Individual option for another...

BTW, I like to order my cars without the sunroof as it increases the amount of headroom. Not everyone who is 6"3 does this, but I find it almost a necessity.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Spiroman said:
Yes, indeed. Carbon black is one of the standard metallic colours for the E46 M3. Kind of strange that the same colour is standard for one M vehicle and a far more expensive Individual option for another...

BTW, I like to order my cars without the sunroof as it increases the amount of headroom. Not everyone who is 6"3 does this, but I find it almost a necessity.
But wouldnt you find the sunroof more convenient? alteast you have ample head room when the glass is slid open :haha: JJ :)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

:byebye:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts