BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had started my car and it fired off then shut right off. It cranks but does not fire now. I shot a little hot start to see if it was a fuel issue and it still did nothing. I assume this can rule out my fuel pump or fuel issue. Not sure where to go after that. Sounds like it is turning over quick. Like an old school timing belt is broke and there is little compression but then again I never heard this engine turn over, it always fired right away. I am getting a code reader but any help in the mean time is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I had started my car and it fired off then shut right off. It cranks but does not fire now. I shot a little hot start to see if it was a fuel issue and it still did nothing. I assume this can rule out my fuel pump or fuel issue. Not sure where to go after that. Sounds like it is turning over quick. Like an old school timing belt is broke and there is little compression but then again I never heard this engine turn over, it always fired right away. I am getting a code reader but any help in the mean time is appreciated.
You shot a little quick start ether? ( How much was a little? You need a good squirt directly into the plenum, maybe 2-3 seconds. If it still doesn't fire (not start, just fire), I agree, it doesn't sound like a fuel problem.

The starter is geared so it does crank quickly. I doubt a total loss of compression is your problem. These engines are pretty bulletproof.

Reading the codes should help to pinpoint stuff like a bad CKPS, coil fuse, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts