BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, if this has been done before and for being off topic but..............
........i am pissed off grrrrrrr crawling along, in the inside lane of empty four lane wide motorway at 70mph, taking 3 hours (frustrated and bored out of my brains) to do 200miles, when our German buddies can do it a thrilling 90 mins.

i regularly fly to birmingham from edinburgh

.........................................mins
drive to airport---------------45
wait for take off -------------60
flight------------------------ 60
bags etc---------------------20
taxi to office-----------------30

3.5 hours without delay

I could drive this in 2.5 on clear unlimited motorways and would not be tied to flight times if i finished early and wanted to head home
But do over a 100 in the UK and you are banned - public enemy No 1:crying:

The 55MPH and 70MPH limits (US & UK) are out of date and are only to gather revenue for the government.

The autobahn's are the safest and fastest roads in Germany and business is better for it.

Our motorways should be unlimited so i can do 180MPH :M5launch: in my M5 - i do not think this is a lot to ask. :cheers: :haha:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I agree but sadly there are two main reasons why sense won't prevail:

(1) Politics: sadly the majority of people in this country still equate speed with danger and don't realise that poor judgement and a poorly maintained car are much more dangerous than an alert M5 driver doing 150mph on a clear dry motorway

(2) Money: the government has no incentive to raise the limit. It is making millions of pounds from fining motorists who are easy to catch and rarely "fight back".

We need a strong lobby to make our voices heard and I've joined these guys who are doing something constructive:

http://www.abd.org.uk/

I suggest you join up as well :typing:

p.s. You also be interested in what the Conservatives are proposing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3474627.stm

A step in the right direction.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't want to do much more than 100mph on our roads personally - one of the very good reasons why Germans have no 'speed limits' (if they drive safely) is that their roads are in much better condition. The British infrastructure (roads AND rail) are in dire need of cash injection - given our highest priced petrol in the world, and car / council taxes etc.

If you live in Birmingham, have you not taken the ferry to the Isle of Man? They don't have speed limits on the country lanes...

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
jim mc d said:
The 55MPH and 70MPH limits (US & UK) are out of date and are only to gather revenue for the government.
Well, you're right about 55mph being out of date here...Congress repealed that law more than 10 years ago! :) Most speed limits here in North Carolina are 65mph or 70mph. I would estimate that the average car is running 75mph on our 65mph limit Interstates with basic immunity for 80mph or under. There are some states out west with 75mph limits on their Interstates.

On a family trip to the UK in 2000, I regularly ran 85-90mph in the fast lane without issue and was passed numerous times (we traveled from London up to Edinburgh back down to Devon area and then to London in the space of 8 days).

·
Registered
764 Posts
Agree that the limits are set artificially/ridiculously low, but the government nannies are trying to protect the abysmal "lowest common denominator" individuals of the driving public. Take a trip to your local DMV to fully understand this concept. Also, completely concur on the disincentive to change when the bureaucracies and insurance companies are deriving enormous profits at our expense under the false rubric of "safety". The media can get the public to swallow anything with enough saturation. grrrrrrr :cheers:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I feel for ya Jim, I used to live in the UK (70', 80's)and have very fond memories of driving from Chichester to south London on buisness, gosh it was such a hoot driving fast in the country lanes on my way up and then on the dual carriage ways/motorways etc. I could always find somebody that would want to race and do it safely I might add.

We did speeds well in excess of 100-120 MPH with not much hassle, I even passed a cop in a ghost car on the M27 going 100 one day, he wagged his finger at me so I slowed down....the good old days..... Still got a few points though and eventully left the UK for BC Canada.

Here the limits maybe be stupid but in the mountain ranges you can drive fast, yes if you get caught you get a heft fine....its still way easier to speed here and get away with it.....woops did I just say that...lol!! "Yes M'lud I am guilty"

God forbid we get those bloody traffic camera's you have all over the place in the UK...time to move to a third world country if that happens.

Nothing like a good rant eh Jim.

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aah, Kelowna - God's country

(I went the other way - Kelowna to Britain)

Driving in BC is alright, when I go back I find most cops hang around the airports, especially at Vancouver Int'nl, so I'm pretty calm there but highway 99 was specifically made for driving cars in a 'spirited' fashion, IMO :M5rev:

EDIT - Ben, they DID used to have speed cameras in BC, but they got rid of them a while back, and on my first visit back, when picking up a hire car they gave me a nice brochure telling me they'd removed all the cameras. That was a nice touch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Munky, Yeh I know, we moved out here in 87', the NDP government put the bloody things in but they were so obvious that you would have to be blind to get a ticket...stupid grey GMC minivans parked at the side of the road.

Anyway our lovely Liberal govenment scapped them, it was an election promise so you know everybody liked that one.

I have been doing some sales trips to the Kootenays recently and the drive on Hwy 33 to Grand Forks, Castlegar are great roads to drive on, in fact I am off again next week on a two day trip.....just hope the snow is not flying on the passes..tis the time of year now.... :sad2:

PS: Why did you move back....

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I wish they would scrap cameras here - they do NOTHING for road safety - it's "fleecing not policing".

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the british police are obsessed with speeding as it is a great way to generate cash.

it is difficult to enjoy a drive in the UK due to the constant fear that if you let rip and go above 100 (not difficult in an M5) and get caught you will be banned

in a few moments of weakness i may (not an admission) have exceeded 140 and at that speed i would be looking at jail time

i heard that other countries in mainland Europe are about to introduce the British system of penalty points - 3 per offence - totting up to 12 and you are banned ouich

Anybody heard the rumour that the UK is going to reduce points to 2 per offence and increase max points to 20 to collect more fines? The existing system is bad for business as everybody keeps slowing down when they get 6-9 points. What good is that when you are trying to collect some cash??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts