BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read in AutoWeek that the new M5 lacks a spare tire, even a homely "get you out of the desert" temp. Is that true?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yep, that's true. It's got a fix-a-flat kit, but no spare tire. I think 'cause the battery and exhaust system take up too much space, or because the front and back tires are different sizes, as well as directional (one spare couldn't work well to replace any of the four tires). Also, there's free towing/roadside assistance under the warrenty, which is only useful if you have cell phone.

Has anyone heard of a nice set of run-flats for the M5?

-Wolf359

·
Registered
187 Posts
the Z8 has the same wheel sizes and supposedly comes with new Bridgestone runflats.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had Goodyear Eagle F1's on my Corvette
and they wouldn't stay balanced. I wouldn't
want run flat tires after my experience. Maybe Michelin has a good run flat tire?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does a "compartment" still exist under the trunk floor after removal of the spare wheel/tire? If so, is there enough remaining useful space for what appears to be the M5's unexpected necessity...spare oil?

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
The BMW M Mobility kit is stored under the trunk floor.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The battery is there, too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
for those interested in Run-flats, the set fitted to cars such as the BMW Z8 and Aston Martin DB7 Vantage/ Volante are the Bridgestone SO-2's. they can be spotted by the =RFT= designation on the sidewall. (RunFlaT) good for 500km at 80km/h.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You might be able to put some oil where the spare tire should be, but there is a compartment on the passenger side (US Car) where the panel pulls out. You can easily fit two liters of oil in the cubby hole on the trunk floor.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
why would you risk putting oil there? if you check it regularly, there's no need to keep some. and if you're like me and like to keep one just in case, keep it in the trunk. (i bought a little BMW bag for it too :)

--Dan

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
re: "if you check it regularly, there's no need to keep some."

M5's appear to consume oil at a rate of one quart every 1000-2000 miles, judged by postings on this bulletin board. This oil is only available from BMW dealerships, and I doubt that means small town dealerships that sell BMW's and Ford trucks. High oil consumption and sparce supply...a bad combination. When my M5 arrives, I'll always carry any extra quart with me. ...two quarts, if I'm on an extended road trip.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
i see your point then. Luckily for me, im less than 5 miles from one major dealership, and within close proximity of 2 others. In your situation I can understand that. Just make sure you dont run the risk of ruining the interior! :/

--Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts