BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a waiter...but there is an air of apprehension with my anticipation. This car has no spare!

On our 528i we have had two flats. One was a quasi-flat: the rim was severely bent, but the tire held air. The vibration was so bad speed was very limited.

The second was a real blowout. But I had a spare.

The M5 has an inflator kit and sealant. It strikes me that this may not always work. And when it doesn't work the cell phone may also not work. And with the M5's unusual wheel and tire requirements, a replacement is not going to be around the corner. Especially on a rainy, winter Sunday night. No spare. No replacement. No rental. Just cold, wet, and stuck!

Is this a real concern or am I just showing NY angst?

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
There is no spare on the European cars either...

The picture above had a flat on both tyres. Bad luck!

Quoted from here:
http://www.bmwm5.com/Mnews0700.htm

"The M3 does not have a spare wheel. It has the M Mobility kit that M5 drivers are used too. According to statisticsd from BMW a flat occurs oince in 100 000 km. The space previously occupied by the spare wheel now houses a bigger silcencer. BMW States "the bigger the silencer, the better you can combine power and refinement". "

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
592 Posts
I carry a spare tire in the trunk. I bought the 17" snow tire rim since it was tough finding one that would clear the brakes. For the tire itself I bought one from tirerack on the net. I can give you the size if you want. I did the math and the size I got was the minimal differential between a stock tire on either the front or rear. The BMW tech I spoke to said it would not burn the differential, as for the unidirection, it is for the left side I think. But, if it is cold and rainy that would not stop me from putting it on the right side and using it as a get me home. I can't see how I would cause damage there. I use the net to hold the tire right up against the rear seats, I have it covered with a towel so that it does not mess up the trunk. As for the jack I bought one from the dealer. It only cost like 40 dollars. The lug wrench was cheap too and fits in the toolbox. As for added weight I have not noticed a difference. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
331 Posts
David....It's encoraging to see that a waiter can afford such a beautiful car. If you have any aprehensions or cold feet, follow your own advice FUHGET ABOUT IT!

07/00 M5 Titanium/Silverstone
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Another rationalization: since the M5's equipped with unidirectional tires in a staggered set-up, there are truly four different combinations required to provide a full-size spare. While it would be possible to provide a full-size, non-unidirectional spare to use in a crunch, it would be a compromise at best, and may cause other problems of its own. Perhaps a little donut spare would make sense--you can store it where the M-mobility kits rests now.

Does anybody know if the European vehicles are equipped the same way---is this just BMW's response to our litigious society?

Here's hoping I don't have to test the M-mobility system!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Exactly same as Lear.
Bought a 17inch winter rim and put an undirectional tire(old Michelin Pilot SX that can be used on both left and right). Along with lug wrench and 540 jack, I have no problem.
Luggage space? Since I have fold down option, I can carry 3 golf bags with driver's side back seat folded.

In the manual, recommended winter tire size is 235/45/17, but the right size that has minimal circumferential difference is 245/45/17. Both won't cause any problem like differential burn out(Porsche has tiny donuts, but nobody around me had problem with differential).

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
My spare is my wife, she follows me every where I go.

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

1 - 7 of 7 Posts