BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

No sound or Radio working at all please help!!

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  VRS 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I am having issues with NO sound or radio or navigation volumes working at all. When I press the FM or even the volume button it does not light up the orange indicator light like on the right side.

I took it to my BMW dealer and they said it was a bad radio and amp. I just recently swapped out amp and it did not make any difference. I did have my friend check the fuses and it does not seem to be bad fuse.

I am now contemplating on which way to go since Dynavin is $750 and i still need to buy an aftermarket amp since i have DSP and Nav and a 5M Fakra Extension harness connector.

Does anyone know what could be causing the lack of sound on my factory system?

-Bad Radio Module? (Cost is $522)
-Bad Head Unit?
-Housing on board monitor (Cost is $809)

I am deciding which way I need to go.:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Check the battery voltage.

Disconnect the batter for about a half hour and see what happens.

#3 ·
Dealer already changed alternator I am worried it's the main head unit and not the cheaper radio module in back of trunk as the navigation also has no volume

#4 ·
Do you have NavCoder, INPA or DIS? Each of these can scan the radio and navigation for faults. NavCoder will let you control the radio and navigation via a head unit emulator and read and save the bus traffic.

I would suspect that the fault is the radio module. Check the 7.5 (iirc) fuse in the radio module's harness connector and the connector for evidence of water intrusion.

#5 ·
I think at this point I need to go aftermarket route.

Is Dynavin the best head unit option or is there a newer option like apple car play that fits into our car?

#6 ·
Hi,

The Dynavin N6 is currently the 'best' of the chinese made head units. It's very very unlikely that any of these cheap Chinese unit's seen all over ebay will officially have Apple Carplay - I somehow doubt Apple would wish to do business with obscure/no known/lower end quality factories in China somewhere. If looks and support of the oem DSP speakers is more important to you, then only choose this option from the chinese made units out there.

If you want higher quality in every aspect, then take a look at the Alpine iLX-007 car play and shallow depth unit. A much more trusted and sought after brand given their history within the car audio industry. Everything about this unit is top notch and of course is a specific Car Play unit as well. The only 'flaw' for BMW owners is that it doesn't have oem looks about it.

Good luck whichever route you take !

Cheers, Dennis!

#7 ·
Thinking about alpine unit anyone know done it on our M5?

Does it require a lot of modifications and does the interior look odd with this new head unit??

I looked at Dynavin and because I have Nav and DSP apparently I need a new aftermarket amp and a Fakra cable so I am exploring my options at this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.