BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Picked up my 2001 M5 (with M-Audio/DSP) yesterday from service and the stereo worked perfectly, drove for about 1 hour and listened to FM, AM and CD during various parts of the drive.

This morning I have no sound. Actually I *do* have telephone audio and I *do* have the NAV voice however I do *not* have FM, AM nor CD.

Note that the orange "on" light does illuminate when I push the on/off button and the display reacts normally but I get no sound, not even a hiss if I turn the volume constantly higher, it's like the AMP is producing no sounds whatsoever. If I select CD the track shows up on the display and I can hear the CD changer swapping discs, but no sound.

I tried the following with no sucess:

* Checked all fuses in glove compartment and in the passenger side trunk area.
* Disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds then reconnecting
* removing the stereo/nav screen unit from the dash and disconnecting/reconnecting both plugs
* unplugging /reconnecting all 3 plugs on the AMP (if the AMP is the large black box in trunk, vertically mounted).

What I cannot test is the radio unit (I think it's the radio unit); the silver colored box next to the "AMP" that says "Alpine". There is a large connector that is hard to reach that I cannot unplug. Also there is a fuse in there that I can't reach without removing this whole unit (and it appears that removing this unit is a major task).

I also don't know if there are any other fuses hidden (in the Amp)?

ANY HELP would be appreciated!

Paul

·
Registered
445 Posts
if I remember correctly, it's only held on by 2 bolts. Remove the CD changer first to get it out of the way. It took less than 5 minutes for me when I had to remove that unit to plug in the speaker wires for my NAV TV. Sounds like a bad fuse on the unit. Good luck.

pkarmouche said:
Hi,

Picked up my 2001 M5 (with M-Audio/DSP) yesterday from service and the stereo worked perfectly, drove for about 1 hour and listened to FM, AM and CD during various parts of the drive.

This morning I have no sound. Actually I *do* have telephone audio and I *do* have the NAV voice however I do *not* have FM, AM nor CD.

Note that the orange "on" light does illuminate when I push the on/off button and the display reacts normally but I get no sound, not even a hiss if I turn the volume constantly higher, it's like the AMP is producing no sounds whatsoever. If I select CD the track shows up on the display and I can hear the CD changer swapping discs, but no sound.

I tried the following with no sucess:

* Checked all fuses in glove compartment and in the passenger side trunk area.
* Disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds then reconnecting
* removing the stereo/nav screen unit from the dash and disconnecting/reconnecting both plugs
* unplugging /reconnecting all 3 plugs on the AMP (if the AMP is the large black box in trunk, vertically mounted).

What I cannot test is the radio unit (I think it's the radio unit); the silver colored box next to the "AMP" that says "Alpine". There is a large connector that is hard to reach that I cannot unplug. Also there is a fuse in there that I can't reach without removing this whole unit (and it appears that removing this unit is a major task).

I also don't know if there are any other fuses hidden (in the Amp)?

ANY HELP would be appreciated!

Paul

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sanguru,

Those two screws do remove the CD changer, but the AMP and the silver box (that I presume to be the radio tuner) are part of a complex maze of attachments. I think I'm going to have to figure how to get both of these boxes out to inspect them for fuses....

Paul

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FIXED!

It was the "mute" lead for the cell phone, because of the sliding motion of the armrest the "mute" wire chaffed and grounded out... so the stereo thought I was always on the phone.

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts