BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Sirius saga continues. I have a my 2000. I bought the correct Nav IV unit, and then bought the correct Bm53 radio, Sirius set-up and everything else I needed for the install from Bimmernav. It is hooked up correctly per their instructions and technical help. But now that I am done with the job, there is still no Sirius option on my radio. I have tape, CD and radio. That is it. I have a call into them for some help, but thought I would post here as well in case anyone has dealt with this before. Thanks much.

·
10,456 Posts
is your radio zone set to north america? The default is europe, where sirius does not exist.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much. I don't know much about Bimmerboard, but I need the instructions for pre '01 with small nav screen. Any help in the right direction would be great!! Thanks.

·
10,456 Posts
search to the rescue!
One of the diy sirius installs:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49715&highlight=sirius

And the pertinent text for this thread:
"One thing to check with the radio: Make sure the radio is in USA mode: (Thanks Martin at BimmerNav.com.) “Turn the radio on and immediately push and hold the SEL button for 5-10 seconds until the radio serial number is shown. Using the <> key scroll until you find the area mode- it may be in Europe or No area. Use the number keys to select USA, maybe #1 or 2. Turn off your radio.”

·
13,589 Posts
search to the rescue!
One of the diy sirius installs:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49715&highlight=sirius

And the pertinent text for this thread:
"One thing to check with the radio: Make sure the radio is in USA mode: (Thanks Martin at BimmerNav.com.) “Turn the radio on and immediately push and hold the SEL button for 5-10 seconds until the radio serial number is shown. Using the <> key scroll until you find the area mode- it may be in Europe or No area. Use the number keys to select USA, maybe #1 or 2. Turn off your radio.”
Thats for the widescreen nav units, same instructions I posted. He needs one for the 4:3.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks again, but yup, that did not work. So close...so close.....

Update. I spoke with Bimmernav, the my2000 with small screen requires a "decode" from the stealership. So, I of course called my local stealer, spoke with three techs, and was told that this was not possible because my car was my2000 and sirius wasn't installed on BMWs until 2004. I tried explaining to them, that this is the reason that it is called a "SIRIUS RETROFIT" but alas that fell upon deaf ears. So, I ended the conversation, hung up the phone, and yelled out a word that rhymes with "duck" like a 100 times...not really because that wouldn't be setting a good example to my 5 year old, but I really, really wanted to. So, I already have like 15 trillion dollars invested into this "duck"in system, so what is another couple trillion???.....here I come Bimmernav...time to order the wide screen nav. system.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I mean, yes, I feel your pain... but come on man- to have a Mark 4 and the small screen???

Have you tried Ebay? Might get lucky with one at a good price.

Pls update when it is installed.

A

·
Registered
316 Posts
I ordered my Mk IV DVD NAV from Germany and had no problems whatsoever. If you can get a good deal oveseas and you trust them go for it.

Otherwise, Martin and the bimmernav people are top top top notch.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Believe me, I hate the small screen too. I was definitely going to change that out at some point, just don't like the fact that I am forced in to changing it because the dealership, as usual, are a bunch of idiots.

I will update when installed...should be today...fingers crossed.

I mean, yes, I feel your pain... but come on man- to have a Mark 4 and the small screen???

Have you tried Ebay? Might get lucky with one at a good price.

Pls update when it is installed.

A

·
13,589 Posts
Believe me, I hate the small screen too. I was definitely going to change that out at some point, just don't like the fact that I am forced in to changing it because the dealership, as usual, are a bunch of idiots.

I will update when installed...should be today...fingers crossed.
It's a 10 min job (max) to swap screens. You'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I've had the widescreen in my other M5s, but really wasn't too worried about it in this one...just want my frickin Sirius radio. lol.

Watched the install clip on Bimmernav of the wide-screen, and it looks to be a really easy install. Any pointers in pulling off the factory bmw trim? Does it just snap out? Thanks.

·
13,589 Posts
Yeah, I've had the widescreen in my other M5s, but really wasn't too worried about it in this one...just want my frickin Sirius radio. lol.

Watched the install clip on Bimmernav of the wide-screen, and it looks to be a really easy install. Any pointers in pulling off the factory bmw trim? Does it just snap out? Thanks.
use the smallest, thinnest screwdriver you can with a microfiber cloth over it. Pop the trim out gently, and take care not to scratch up your trim or leather (if you have extended leather). Also, be careful with the screwdriver as you're removing the screws so as not to scratch/mar anything

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks much for all the help!! My widescreen is now installed and I finally have Sirius radio. It was definitely an easy install, and the trim came right off...no scratches in it or the leather. Thanks again for the advice and help!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts