BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have been out of the loop with M5 for about one year and am now looking to buy one for a daily driver and was just told by a dealer the SMG is no longer available on new cars. Is this true? I just looked through all the new cars on autotrader and they were all manuals, so it may be. Is this just a hiatus or is it done for good? I remember someone saying that one of the improvements for the 09 car was an updated SMG. If they are going to make it in the future why can you not get it now?
Very perlplexing indeed.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
OK, I have been out of the loop with M5 for about one year and am now looking to buy one for a daily driver and was just told by a dealer the SMG is no longer available on new cars. Is this true? I just looked through all the new cars on autotrader and they were all manuals, so it may be. Is this just a hiatus or is it done for good? I remember someone saying that one of the improvements for the 09 car was an updated SMG. If they are going to make it in the future why can you not get it now?
Very perlplexing indeed.

Your dealer is full of sh*t. He probably has some 6MTs on the lot he wants to sell.

Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very interesting indeed! He does have two MT on the lot! not that I am opposed to a manual, but I wanted to get an SMG just for the fun factor - something new and different - the lease deal on the new car is so insanely good though that I will defnitely still deal with them! He told me I could order a new car with the same deal (he just told me I couldn't order an SMG because they were not making them anymore, but this was before I told him this is what I was leaning toward. He volunteered that I could oder a new car with the same deal so maybe it was more ignorance than malevolence?)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
very interesting indeed! He does have two MT on the lot! not that I am opposed to a manual, but I wanted to get an SMG just for the fun factor - something new and different - the lease deal on the new car is so insanely good though that I will defnitely still deal with them! He told me I could order a new car with the same deal (he just told me I couldn't order an SMG because they were not making them anymore, but this was before I told him this is what I was leaning toward. He volunteered that I could oder a new car with the same deal so maybe it was more ignorance than malevolence?)

If you are fine dealing with the idiot salesman who LIED to you.....but I would go elsewhere mate....vote with your feet.

There should be lots of SMG cars on lots.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T bone - that is true, but the issue is that the lease is $600 cheaper per month than anywhere else on a new car and the lease is only 2 years on a special deal through BMW financial that no-one else is seeming to offer

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
T bone - that is true, but the issue is that the lease is $600 cheaper per month than anywhere else on a new car and the lease is only 2 years on a special deal through BMW financial that no-one else is seeming to offer

I understand but if he and the dealership were so flagrant in their stupidity, how are you assured you are getting the deal they are representing.

Let's be frank, any BMW dealer must abide by BMW FS's terms. The only thing they can play with is capital cost.

$600 / month is insane......

I am willing to bet you they are trying to hose you again.

·
1,764 Posts
I understand but if he and the dealership were so flagrant in their stupidity, how are you assured you are getting the deal they are representing.

Let's be frank, any BMW dealer must abide by BMW FS's terms. The only thing they can play with is capital cost.

$600 / month is insane......

I am willing to bet you they are trying to hose you again.
+1 dolt, don't be a sucker........
:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the cost of the lease is not $600 per month, it is $600 less per month than what I have been offered elsewhere. It of course made me wonder as well, but I can find no hidden cost. It is through BMWFS and requires 3500 down. There are no other places that I can think of that they could be hiding cost. Is there something else I should ask them about?

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
the cost of the lease is not $600 per month, it is $600 less per month than what I have been offered elsewhere. It of course made me wonder as well, but I can find no hidden cost. It is through BMWFS and requires 3500 down. There are no other places that I can think of that they could be hiding cost. Is there something else I should ask them about?

We understand it is $600 off but $600 off is insane. Figure $30 / month less for every $1000 down is like $20000 off.....

There is no way on the planet you will get this variance between dealers.

Ask for capital cost, interest rate, residual %

You are going to get another bait-n-switch when you try to order a new car.

Please be sure to come back here with a quote....if he tries to rip you off, post the name of the salesman and dealer.....we will report him to BMW USA.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, I will get all that info. I do know that the residual will be 73% of sticker after two years. The capitalized cost is the difference between sticker and residual? The interest rate I do not know. Isn't it called the money factor in leases? Sorry for my ignorance but I have not leased a car before. I have always purchased.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
ok, I will get all that info. I do know that the residual will be 73% of sticker after two years. The capitalized cost is the difference between sticker and residual? The interest rate I do not know. Isn't it called the money factor in leases? Sorry for my ignorance but I have not leased a car before. I have always purchased.

No worries, this is why we are here for you.

Money Factor = bullsh*t invented be finance idiots to obfuscate the interest rates and to make it sound great..... Just mulitple the money factor X 24 to get the interest rate.

Get some numbers and let's take a look. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
It is true. They stopped putting SMG in the cars when they moved to the run flat tires.:3:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are they just making a lot more manuals of late? When I look on autotrader or in dealer's stocks at new 2008s online all I am finding is MT cars. Is there just more demand for the MT cars now?

I'll get the actual numbers posted as soon as I get a chance to call them again. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I remember when I looked for my car last summer on cars.com and there were a bunch of cars that listed the car as "manual", when infact they were SMG. I think they look at the M in SMG as meaning it's a manual transmission. I bet if you look at the interior pic's of a bunch of these cars you'll not see a stick but the smg stick. Confused me at first too! Good luck with your search...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
It never suprises me how far a salesman would go inorder to make that sale and grab the commission

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
on an interesting, but tangential, stealership issue, I am reading a book that I highly recommend called The Psychology of Influence by a Robert Cialdini who is a psychologist. The book is about ways mostly sales people get people to comply with what they want. It has many terribly interesting facts and info. A lot of social pyschology experiments are discussed that support the tactics. It really helps you understand and defend against what any salesperson or other tries to get you to do. In reading it I realized how many times I have gotten duped by dealerships. It is a must read for anyone passionate about cars and buys a lot of them, but also is very useful for almost every facet of life.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts