BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No more daily driving duties for the M5 now i live in the countryside i need winter get to the shops ability over steep dirt track roads.

So bought this for me, and a Honda CRV for my wife.

2k for both :) happy days

Attachments

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That's great jamie. You will love the countryside and I hope you have some space for a car collection.

I would recommend winter tyres in the strongest possible terms. I run them on a Z3 M Coupe and it becomes a perfectly usable and fun car even in extreme conditions !

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Happy you have dragged yourself away from the big smoke , Jamie .

Winter tyres on a spare set of 8js would be beneficial , as Matt says .

D

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys!

Certainly have more parking space now, although I really shouldn't buy any more cars (for a while anyway). Anyway, as soon as the garage is clear of packing box's the M5 will have a warm, dry home for the winter :)

·
10,456 Posts
i love the look of the gravel driveways that seem to be popular in the UK, but aren't you always tracking gravel into the garage? I have a gravel path on my side yard where i park my range rover (good for hiding the various leaks) but i'm always sweeping up loose gravel!

Reactions: 1day

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i love the look of the gravel driveways that seem to be popular in the UK, but aren't you always tracking gravel into the garage? I have a gravel path on my side yard where i park my range rover (good for hiding the various leaks) but i'm always sweeping up loose gravel!
That gravel drives me nuts !

Not so much the ingress into the house and garage, but walking or driving on it, its way too deep basically.

I will be building a new garage in a different place next year, and at that point the gravel will be disposed off, probably used as garden pathways.

Sometimes it's fun rally style driving into the yard, but not for my eldest boy as his gsx doesn't like it at all ;-)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Excellent - a gravel thread !

As illustrated below the stones on my drive are large and that helps them stay where they should be. Only downsides for me are
- trolley jacks can't be used on gravel - so I have to use a sheet of plywood which then reduces the clearance.
- kids bikes are harder to ride on it - but when the stones get compacted that becomes OK.

20140729_192839 by MattH3764, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got rid of enough packing crates / boxes to allow the m5 space in the garage...

Now that I can keep it dry through winter, and not have to park it on London streets over night, I'm finally going to get the paint work sorted out, at the same time as attacking the rusty bits again.... I feel some large bills coming on :lol:

Attachments

Reactions: MattH
1 - 9 of 9 Posts