BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I brought my car (still under warranty and maintenance plan) to the dealer to top off the engine oil, as requested by the car computer. Dealer used to just top it off no question asked. Today however, they told me that BMW NA no longer cover this costs, so I have to buy it from the parts department.

It's not much money ($12.50 a bottle) but it is quite a surprise as how low BMW NA has gone. ??????

·
Registered
80 Posts
This must be on a dealer by dealer basis. I just took my car in and my SA topped mine off at his recommendation. However, the dealership here in Portland is really good on customer service and especially my SA.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
There are a number of older threads on this. Some dealers do it, some don't. Some do it when the car is calling for it, but not ant any other time. Some even through a bottle in your trunck for you! Seems to me this is either a maintenance or a warranty item -- certaily not wear and tear, but unless someone really wants to push the issue with BMWNA, it will continue to depend on the dealer and your relatiosnhip with them. You should join BMWCCA and get your 10% off all parts (inlcuding oil). Roundel (their publication) is worth the annual fee all by itself - not to mention the rebate program.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
This has nothing to do with BMW NA. BMW NA pays dealers only for authorized warranty repairs. Oil is a consumable item and normal oil use would never be covered under warranty and wouldn't be submitted by the dealer. Some dealers do it as a nice gesture to customers, others expect customers to buy their oil, which doesn't strike me as an unreasonable expectation. (We don't expect dealers to fill our cars with gas, do we?)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The question is not about warranty, but about free maintenance. I don't expect to get free gas, but I was always under the impression that oil top off is part of free oil change. It is not much money so I already ordered a dozen bottles of TWS 10w-60 for top offs and extra oil changes.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
The question is not about warranty, but about free maintenance. I don't expect to get free gas, but I was always under the impression that oil top off is part of free oil change. It is not much money so I already ordered a dozen bottles of TWS 10w-60 for top offs and extra oil changes.
I don't think maintenance plan covers oil.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I don't think maintenance plan covers oil.
it covers oil changes, which includes the cost of oil

but in the OPs case, i would have to say its probably varies by dealership and is not a BMW NA issue

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I was told that they will top off free of charge as they don't want us to overfill which could be a major problem. I have had no issues with free top offs at my dealer even though their customer service is horrible.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Looks like BMW NA has been talking to BMW Bahrain -- because in the history of me owning BMWs, our local dealer has NEVER given me a free top-up. At least you all had it good once upon a time. Imagine how much more money these boys can make by charging customers for an oil top-up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have service inclusive plus.. this is what BMW say it includes:

BMW Service Inclusive Plus covers the cost of parts, labour and fluids for the following service items: engine oil service, engine oil top ups, brake fluid, air filter, micro filter, fuel filter (diesel models only) and spark plugs. It also covers the cost of the following maintenance items if required due to wear and tear: brake pads, brake discs, brake sensors, wiper blade rubbers (up to 3 sets within the package period) and clutch. These items are covered from the date of first registration for a period of 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs sooner).

I already missed out on a set of wiper blades.. they were faffing around so much I ended up paying.. But I have been considering the oil top ups.. I suppose I might as well get them. (i took this out mainly for the clutch tbh)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just got a bottle of free oil from a Stealership out here in LA (cali) this past Friday. Walked in and talked to my SA and he walked into the back where they sell parts and just grabbed one from behind the counter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts