BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry. Just wanted to get people's opinion on this topic. Does anyone actually think we are going to see standard transmission in this car. I would prefer a stick - but given the demand for this car - they can't make enough of them already - why bother?

At the very least - I don't think a standard manual is in the cards for at least 2 or 3 model years. Thoughts?:wroom:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
As I understand it, BMW have recognised the demand from the NA market and will sell the car with a 6 speed transmission here. Whether this will flow through to other markets I do not know.

Hope this helps..

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I read in the magazines as well as on several threads the stick shift versions will appear about one year after the product debuts of the M5 & M6.

While we can debate what is and what is not a manual transmission, BMW considers SMG to be a manual transmission. While I prefer stick shift, I would urge you to give it a shot- you might like it.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
stominovich said:
Sorry. Just wanted to get people's opinion on this topic. Does anyone actually think we are going to see standard transmission in this car. I would prefer a stick - but given the demand for this car - they can't make enough of them already - why bother?

At the very least - I don't think a standard manual is in the cards for at least 2 or 3 model years. Thoughts?:wroom:
With about a two-year waiting list In the United States, and multiple production delays, I believe the probability of BMW introducing a manual transmission anytime soon is remote.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
ye of little faith

"New problems with production of M5 and M5. A large amount of oilpumps have to be reworked when a productionerror have been discovered. This will lead to a delay. The factory expects that the delay will not be more than a month."
According to Gustav this is direct from BMW, see:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55260

And:
There is no US market delay, (as far as production is concerned)

Dealers will get pricing and literature in mid July; pricing is still soft (awaiting approval) so no one really knows for sure. Absolutely no orders will be accepted prior to the official release date, regardless of what is said by the dealers.

Production begins in early September.

X00 cars are loaded in the production schedule for November (USA deliveries)

X00 cars will be produced for December
Also from Gustav. See:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55045

I've always felt, based on past M launch in the USA experience, that the M5 would make a small volume appearance in late Fall, early Winter 2005. Through Spring 2006 volume will be tight and as Summer 2006 progresses supply will increase. So I think (and this is just my own personal speculation) unless you have a great relationship with the dealer, you are probably looking at Sept 2006 to see a M5. If we believe that a stick shift will be out about a year after the SMG model, well, Aug-Sept is the time for next model year, so it could be for the 2007 model, maybe (being conservative) for October 2006. Traditionally the 2nd model year of M cars has coincided with the freshening for the series model.... Again, this is just past experience + speculation to get a sense of what you can expect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts