BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps asking for LED tail (and other) lights on such a perfect automobile is meaningless, but then again, why use incandescent and/or halogen bulbs when all manufacturers are moving into the LED arena? Even the 3 series has all-LED tail lights.

hmmm

·
Registered
816 Posts
645Ci uses LED; 5 rows of it: 3 bottom rows for normal/light brake and top 2 extras for hard brake. I presume the M6 will get the LED.

·
Registered
222 Posts
BMW will need something to keep the model fresh, so I am betting that the E60 will get LEDs in its 2nd or 3rd year of production, as the E39 did.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The LED's will be used for the face lift model. They did the same thing with the E46. Personally they keep going on about the lastest technology and carefully omit certain things for the face lift model. Totally sucks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
maq said:
01+ E39's had the CELIS tailights made by Hella. The brake lights had LED bulbs
i will have a look at mine later this evening...
didn't know that. i don't see "him" often from behind... :haha:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I agree the E39 facelift does have LED but only for normal lights, brakes are bulbs. As for the E60 I think it is a shame, I mean LED last so much longer and are way better looking.

Oh and the E-Class has LEDs at least for the brake lights. grrrrrrr

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've just answered my own question. I went through the M6 spy-shots we all saw a few weeks ago, and one picture (attached below) clearly shows the LED from the 645Ci. The driver must have pressed normal braking, thus 3 bottom rows of LED clearly visible on the M6.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
My own opinion: there will be no LED update to the E60, although it seems reasonable to speculate on it as it fits a pattern. Whats different is the bean counter mentality of the management. The E60 and E90 must be big cash cows for BMW and so far sales numbers on the E60 are mediocre. (Its supposed to gain momentum, not lose)

·
Registered
816 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
My own opinion: there will be no LED update to the E60, although it seems reasonable to speculate on it as it fits a pattern. Whats different is the bean counter mentality of the management. The E60 and E90 must be big cash cows for BMW and so far sales numbers on the E60 are mediocre. (Its supposed to gain momentum, not lose)
That's what I read about the E60 "sales figures" too (depending on how they define "sales figures", it could be even worse). But then the 645Ci and M6 are not the volume sellers relative to the 5 and 3 series - so LED's must be an "exclusivity" thing, which is a nonesense because some cheaper makers (and even some public bus as pointed out by Val) have them on!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
It all comes down to suppliers and integrating the parts. Somehow, I am assuming the old fashioned, incandescent bulbs are less expensive.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts