BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from a top source that the USA cars WILL NOT get launch control. I know this has been questioned, but unaware if any facts have come out on this board.

MJ
'03

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised as this feature could give rise to numerous lawsuits - a real shame as I looooove Launch Control lovelove

·
Registered
283 Posts
I heard from a reliable source that it will indeed be available, just as it is currently available on the M3 SMGII (in Canada that is) only, instead of the car holding the RPM at 4000 then launching, it will only hold the revs untill 2000 rpm, then delivering the launch... (this is the Canadian model info though)once again another reason to move to europe!
:wroom:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
We can have a mud wrestling match between the top source and the reliable source to see who wins.

I bet every chipper will make LC changes to the ECU.

Tom

·
Registered
263 Posts
Regarding Canadian M5's, which is true?

1) no launch control
2) tuned down LC at 2000 RPM
3) full LC available

Can someone already taken delivery enlighten the rest of us please?

·
Registered
641 Posts
bernhtp said:
We can have a mud wrestling match between the top source and the reliable source to see who wins.

I bet every chipper will make LC changes to the ECU.

Tom
That is exactly what I am thinking. That if it really is not on the car the chip that lets you go max speed, necessary for quick hops to Vegas, will have LC on it.:cool:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
This reminds me so much of the debate about launch control in the E46 M3 w/ SMG. Everyone was upset because numerous rumors started that it was being eliminated completely. I am sure it is going to be a similar situation of a toned down launch control, like in the E46 M3.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
MJ said:
I have heard from a top source that the USA cars WILL NOT get launch control. I know this has been questioned, but unaware if any facts have come out on this board.

MJ
'03
The '06 M5 Product Guide says the SMGIII WILL INCLUDE LC.

·
Registered
537 Posts
drewzMMM said:
The '06 M5 Product Guide says the SMGIII WILL INCLUDE LC.
so how does the bmw us model get 0-60 in 4.5 seconds w/o launch control?

·
Registered
418 Posts
bodaddy said:
This reminds me so much of the debate about launch control in the E46 M3 w/ SMG. Everyone was upset because numerous rumors started that it was being eliminated completely. I am sure it is going to be a similar situation of a toned down launch control, like in the E46 M3.
You're right. I just got off the phone with Larry Koch, M Brand Manager for BMW USA. He says the USA-spec E60 M5s do indeed have launch control, but that it's been toned down 1600 RPM (vs. the 4000 RPM max permissible level found on the Euro-spec cars). By the way, he was adamant that the Euro LC allows a maximum of 4000 revs, NOT 4500.

Anything else written in the USA Owner's Manaul regarding USA-spec LC RPM, is simply erroneous.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
HadE55NowM5 said:
You're right. I just got off the phone with Larry Koch, M Brand Manager for BMW USA. He says the USA-spec E60 M5s do indeed have launch control, but that it's been toned down 1600 RPM (vs. the 4000 RPM max permissible level found on the Euro-spec cars). By the way, he was adamant that the Euro LC allows a maximum of 4000 revs, NOT 4500.

Anything else written in the USA Owner's Manaul regarding USA-spec LC RPM, is simply erroneous.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Glad you made the call to Larry. That was the first thing I was going to do after i'd read the entire posting. Go straight to the source. Thanks for making that call and giving us the actual response! :)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
HadE55NowM5 said:

Hope this helps.
Thanks! That settles that, I guess. Now we just have to wait until Dinan/Hartge makes the software to allow for the US cars to have a 4k Rev LC.
:flag:

·
Registered
829 Posts
C'mon Launch Control has been advertised all over the world in brochures and flyers. BMW would be commiting suicide if they didn't include it in the US models (their biggest market). I'm sure it's included, has anybody in the US broken in their car already? It has been what a month now... c'mon you lazzy bastards, gas is cheap get driving! :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, yes, yes. As Larry told "HadE55NowM5" It HAS LC. I've done it in both the Euro spec and the US spec. Also does the smokey burnout launch by just stomping the throttle to the floor quickly with the DSC off, in P500. Its NICE:7:

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
1600 rpms eh? Thanks for the info HadE55NowM5!

·
Registered
829 Posts
HadE55NowM5 said:

Hope this helps.
Are you sure about the max 4000rpm thing? Check this video:
http://www.4rotor.com/m5/videos/m5-launchcontrol-incr-decr.avi

This UK M5 dails the LC in at just over 4000 rpm (4100 rpm?) and when you increase the revs it goes all the way upto just before 5000 rpm (4900 rpm?).

Him being wrong on the EU LC rpm would give you enough reason to start doubting wether he's right in the US LC rpm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well thats kinda tough to answer because it was last year in Oct. that I drove the euro spec. and it was last week when I did it in the US spec. Going by my weak memory I dont think there was that big of a difference overall.

StealthBlue said:
Not that it makes a difference, but how much faster did you notice the launch with the Euro spec?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Anyone in USA get Launch control to work..I am tired of trying...Instructions say, S6 mode, DSC off, from N foot on break move to D, foot off break, move to "1" and hold it forward. Floor it and car JUMPS FORWARD because it doesn't work. Also, LC instructions not in USA MANUAL. We just don't have it.

DO NOT TRY LAUNCH CONTROL IN YOUR GARAGE, unless facing out!

floyd

1 - 20 of 42 Posts