BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 2008 SB M5 for sale locally and I'm seriously considering it. However, it doesn't have HUD. How much of a big deal is it? Would I be seriously missing out without HUD?

·
Registered
267 Posts
There is a 2008 SB M5 for sale locally and I'm seriously considering it. However, it doesn't have HUD. How much of a big deal is it? Would I be seriously missing out without HUD?
I find my HUD VERY important. Before I had the car I said "HUD no biggie if I don't have it" But now that I have used it, I can't see having this car without it.

Reactions: bemone

·
Registered
258 Posts
how will you receive your nav directions without the HUD?
by taking your eyes off the road to look in the center of the dash or turning on that god awful voice?

hold out for HUD & comfort access, at the least.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how will you receive your nav directions without the HUD?
by taking your eyes off the road to look in the center of the dash or turning on that god awful voice?

hold out for HUD & comfort access, at the least.
forgive my ignorance, what is comfort access?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Find another car with the HUD. It is worth it, trust me.

·
Registered
789 Posts
How good is the deal? The HUD is a nice feature but would not consider it a must have. Especially if you are looking at a good deal on the car. If its an okay deal then wait if you will regret the decision. If you havent seen it in action then check it out before you make your final decision. If you like all the equipment on the car now it is not easy to find the same with a HUD.

Good luck. Also the directions can't be heard with the turn by turn :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I don't think it's a deal breaker, however I would think you would have you choice of low mileage M5's to purchase and if patient, could find one with HUD. I personally would buy a car without if other factors prevailed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
when purchasing my beast i was so adamant about getting the HUD and it definitely was worth the search...really useful....I use it all the time:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have HUD and never use it. I never use the NAV, though. I always find myself watching the actual tach and speedo instead of the M display HUD.

Also--keep in mind that if you wear polarized sunglasses, your HUD becomes almost invisible.

Comfort access would be my #1 requirement. I *love* it. I also love my full leather package and alcantara headliner. I'd look for those options over the HUD.

Brad

·
Registered
212 Posts
I personally think the HUD keeps me out of trouble, it's easy to drive these cars WAY too fast on the highway without realizing it.

However, if the car has comfort access and full leather/alcantara, it's not a deal breaker imo

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have HUD and never use it. I never use the NAV, though. I always find myself watching the actual tach and speedo instead of the M display HUD.

Also--keep in mind that if you wear polarized sunglasses, your HUD becomes almost invisible.

Comfort access would be my #1 requirement. I *love* it. I also love my full leather package and alcantara headliner. I'd look for those options over the HUD.

Brad
Full leather is a strong option along with comfort access.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Please explain what's so important about not having to unlock your car or start it? Why is comfort access such a coveted option?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Please explain what's so important about not having to unlock your car or start it? Why is comfort access such a coveted option?
Pure convenience. Never taking the key out of your pocket has it's advantages. Perhaps to some it seems pointless, but use it for a week and I bet you'd be sold.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you are debating on it, then you will regret not getting a car with HUD. HUD is one of the technologies that defined the high tech of M5s. And it's not something that's easy to retrofit.

That being said...I love my car and it doesn't have the HUD and the active seats and I personally don't miss them at all. My co-worker has the HUD on his M5 and considers it a gimmick. It has an amazing V10 which steals the show and that's all that matters. Full red leather/alcantara headliner and comfort access make the car seem plenty luxurious and high tech. I like not having to lock and unlock, for me it's more the technology than the convenience that's cool.

I missed the HUD only once since I had my car and that was on a smaller closed course (during a BMW CCA Winter Car Control Clinic). I bought the car a few months ago, so I wasn't good at judging when to shift perfectly since I couldn't see the rev limiter while 'in action'. Still, not something I miss too much, you learn quickly the engine sounds and when to shift.

What I do regret a little is that iDrive is so slow on the older cars. I am assuming the 2010 iDrive is a bit faster with HDD. It's the slowest interface with the fastest car - makes-a-no sense.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I crack up every time I shut off the DCS.

"The DCS is off!"

Oh my god, are you nuts. You she off the DCS in an M5!!!

Seriously I never look at the rev counter but I do like the warning that pops up to remind me I have exceeded my preset speed limit of 80mph. Keep me in check.
HUD does not display the gear on a 6 speed but I dont need it to, I know what gear I'm in.
Anthony

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
i love HUD, i wouldn't have bought my M5 without it. It keeps me focused on the road, and at the same time know my speed, warnings, nav, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the HUD. Heck, that's probably one of the most important features that I wanted for my purchase. I don't use it for the navigation purpose like some other board members do. Mainly for the speed and rpm.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I definitely recommend the HUD. If you are gonna buy an M5, you might as well get all the bells and whistles. It is sweet having all that info right in your line of sight, especially....speed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts